Brenda Hilligoss NAMI DuPage November 26, 2012 5:16PM
NAMI DuPage (National Alliance on Mental Illness), Brenda Hilligoss-School Connections Director
storyidforme: 40705584 tmspicid: 15034954 fileheaderid: 6843318
Updated: November 27, 2012 2:09PM
According to the surgeon general, one child out of five will experience problems because of a psychiatric disorder. Sadly, only one in three is receiving the comprehensive treatment they need.
Children and adolescents deserve the best possible mental health care. Parents can help by being informed, involved and persistent advocates on behalf of their children. The following are 10 specific tips and suggestions that parents might find helpful:
1. Get a comprehensive evaluation, which may involve several visits to provide an accurate diagnosis.
2. Insist on the best practitioners for your child. Network in your area to find the best counselors and physicians with the most experience and expertise in evaluating children and adolescents.
3. Ask lots of questions. Make sure that you and your child fully understand the full range of treatment options, so that you can make an informed decision.
4. Insist on family-centered treatment. Ask about specific goals and objectives. How will you know if treatment is working?
5. Ask about wrap-around services in your area. Research options in the community like schools and park district programs.
6. Be organized and prepared. One of the best things you can do for your child is having all pertinent information in one place, including consultation and evaluation results. Always ask for your own copies.
7. Ask for a second opinion. Make sure you are comfortable and confident with the care you are getting from your mental health professional.
8. Help your child learn about their condition. Use books, pamphlets and honest conversation.
9. Know the details of your insurance policy and learn about the laws governing insurance.
10. Work with the schools. Oftentimes children spend more time at school than they do with their families. Make sure your school is well versed in your childs condition and ask to be included in all school meetings to discuss your child.
These are the first steps to take care of a child and family dealing with a potential mental health diagnosis.
At NAMI DuPage, we know that stigma is the biggest hurdle to individuals reaching out for help with their mental health problems. We also know that the best way to break down this stigma is through sharing personal stories.
Thats why we work hard to share our own stories of recovery and hope.
Mental illness is like any other physical illness, and the earlier we get help for that illness, the better chance we have for good recovery.
Visit our website, www.namidupage.org, to learn more about resources available for individuals and their families living with mental illnesses. You can also visit our Ending The Silence website to find out about education and stigma busting we are doing in the schools at www.endingthesilence.org. You can see a sample presentation, or click under the student tab to hear some of our personal stories.
Brenda Hilligoss is the school connections director for NAMI DuPage (National Alliance on Mental Illness), which is part of the Collaborative Youth Team, a partnership of 20 youth and family service organizations and agencies.
This column is courtesy of KidsMatter, Collaborative Youth Team facilitator.
To access the community resource guide and partner contact information, visit www.KidsMatter2us.org.
Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:18:28 GMT Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.)By Sole Source Click for more info Customer tags: cuticle care(8), health(8), cuticle(8), cuticle conditioner(8), health tips(8), beauty tips(8), beauty favorites(8), b003o1x4yq http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Source-TIPS-Cuticle-Conditioner/dp/B003NSETFI/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:22:02 GMT Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition)By C.D. Shelton Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: long life(8), healthy living(8), health tips(8), live long(8), health and wellness(7), longevity(7), live longer(7), healthy lifestyle(7), health(7), health and fitness(7), healthy aging(7) http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Living-Fit-100-ebook/dp/B007DCBIQ8/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Anna Savanna: HEALTH TIPS
HEALTH TIPS. 1. To motivate yourself to exercise each day, put on your exercise clothes and trainers as soon as you wake up. If you don't have time before work, be sure to put them on as soon as you get home. You'll feel … http://annasavanna.blogspot.com/2012/11/health-tips.html
Health Tips – Android
Download Health Tips for Android (50 – 100 downloads) – Read Health tips to keep your health in good condition. You can find health tips in short messages which can be sent… http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/health_and_fitness/health-tips_cqrmg.html
Everyday Health Tips by Debora Tkac, Kim Anderson (1…
Big Book of Health Tips by FC and A Publishing Staff (1996, Hardcover)
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]