Sunnyvale, California (PRWEB) December 24, 2012
The holidays are a time of festivities and family gatherings, but for those with dementia, they can be packed with hazards and surprises. Pathways Home Health & Hospice has a special program for their hospice patients who have dementia. As part of this program, Pathways Hospice has published seasonal tips on how to keep patients, caregivers, and family members calmer and safer during a visit.
Pathways Home Health & Hospice provides tips on planning, decorating, festivities, visitors, activities, kitchen safety, shopping and travel. These can help families, caregivers and patients have a holiday visit that is pleasant for all including the person with dementia.
People with dementia need routinesthe same activities, in the same place, at the same time. Families should keep this in mind when taking a loved one home for the holiday. The excitement, the car ride, change in surroundings and many people talking can cause the confused person with dementia to become agitated or upset.
- If a family will be taking a loved one home from a facility for the holidays, plan ahead. Let the staff know several days ahead so they have time to obtain medications and clothes.
- Allow extra time for everything, dont rush the person.
- Try to keep as them as much possible to their daily routine.
- Use ribbon instead of sharp hooks when hanging decorations.
- Holly and mistletoe can be poisonous and berries pose a choking hazard.
- Many decorations look like food and may even smell like the real thing, making them appealing to try to eat.
- Try to go to a place familiar to the loved one with dementia.
- Assign tasks to other family members so the caregiver and subsequently the patient dont become overloaded and stressed.
- Plan for a quiet place for the loved one with dementia to go to if he or she becomes overwhelmed.
- Let the loved one with dementia know who is coming to visit.
- Have visitors and family call ahead to determine best time to visit.
- Small groups of visitors or family is advisable. Have them wear name tags as this might help with recognition.
- Reintroduce family members as necessary. Mary, my name is Betty. And when the loved one asks, Are you my granddaughter? say yes and shake her hand and act very comfortable about this introduction.
- If the loved one with dementia begins talking about the past, try not to reorient him or tell him he is wrong. Enter his reality and live his truth. Ask about the past memory.
- Reminisce about the past.
- Play holiday music familiar to the loved one.
- Read holiday cards aloud.
- Stuff stockings, watch a holiday video, look at family slides or pictures or albums, read scriptures, etc.
- Monitor the dementia patient one while in the kitchen.
- Give them one task to help with baking or decorating. Try baking cookies, making pudding, folding napkins, polishing silver, etc.
- Always check the microwave before turning on in case something was put in that is flammable.
- Check all trash cans before throwing out garbage
- Dont leave the loved one with dementia in the car or in the front of the store.
- Shop during hours when stores are less crowded.
- Dress the loved one with dementia in a bright yellow shirt which is easy to see if case of separation. Be sure they have a purse or wallet with identification.
- Shop in smaller stores rather than the mall.
- People with dementia should never travel alone. Hire a personal care aide to travel if a family member is unable to accompany the resident.
- Travel may not be appropriate even with a companion if the person has:
Consistent disorientation or agitation in familiar settings Wanting to go home when away from home on short visits Delusional, paranoid, aggressive or uninhibited behavior Problems managing continence Teary, anxious, withdrawn behavior in crowded, noisy settings Agitated or wandering behavior
About Pathways Home Health & Hospice Pathways Home Health & Hospice is a non-profit, community based organization celebrating its 35th anniversary. Pathways was founded in 1977 by a group of Stanford physicians who saw the communitys need for professional care at home. That year Pathways served 12 patients. Pathways now serves over 5,000 families a year in San Francisco, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Contra Costa Counties.
Affiliated with El Camino and Sequoia Hospitals since 1986, Pathways Home Health & Hospice is accredited by The Joint Commission, and is a member of the Visiting Nurse Association of America, California Hospice & Palliative Care Association, and the California Association of Health Services at Home.
Donations received from the community by Pathways Home Health & Hospice provide services that would otherwise not be available, including 24/7 access to a specialized team of care providers, family bereavement counseling and support, integrative therapies, caregiver support, comfort care, and funding for under- and uninsured patients.
For more information about Pathways services, holiday grief workshops, volunteering, or making a donation in support of Pathways families, call 1 (888) 755.7855 or visit http://www.pathwayshealth.org/
- ^ Dementia and the holidays (www.pathwayshealth.org)
- ^ Dementia and holiday safety (www.pathwayshealth.org)
- ^ Pathways Home Health & Hospice (www.pathwayshealth.org)
- ^ http://www.pathwayshealth.org/ (www.pathwayshealth.org)
Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:18:28 GMT Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.)By Sole Source Click for more info Customer tags: cuticle care(8), health(8), cuticle(8), cuticle conditioner(8), health tips(8), beauty tips(8), beauty favorites(8), b003o1x4yq http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Source-TIPS-Cuticle-Conditioner/dp/B003NSETFI/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:22:02 GMT Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition)By C.D. Shelton Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: long life(8), healthy living(8), health tips(8), live long(8), health and wellness(7), longevity(7), live longer(7), healthy lifestyle(7), health(7), health and fitness(7), healthy aging(7) http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Living-Fit-100-ebook/dp/B007DCBIQ8/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Health Tips: 20 Healthy Habits To Adopt Before You Turn 20
Your teenage years are often when you're at your healthiest: You're young, probably haven't experienced a big health scare yet, and any unhealthy habits may not taken a toll on your body. But that doesn't mean that you … http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/08/health-tips-20-healthy-ha_n_2258099.html
Leana Wen, M.D.: 8 Tips for Staying Healthy and Happy During the …
Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's — these are supposed to be times of celebration, togetherness, and happiness. Yet, they can bring challenges to our physical and emotional health. Here are eight tips for staying healthy and … http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leana-wen-md/holidays-health_b_2341813.html
The Miracle of Apple Cider Vinegar: Practical Tips for Health, Home, & Beauty…
End Date: Friday Dec-28-2012 10:12:34 PST
Buy It Now for only: $4.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list
New Dog Book Pack Housebreak Health 101 Tips 30 Days to Well-Mannered
2012-12-19T03:49:51.000Z $15.00 (0 Bids)
End Date: Tuesday Dec-25-2012 19:49:51 PST
Buy It Now for only: $20.00
Buy It Now | Bid now | Add to watch list
Health & Vitality: the Way to Good Health
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
Science-based Suggestions for self-confidence
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
5 ways to feel good while getting fit
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
When buying hearing aids: 6 essential things to know
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]
Health Tips And Vitamins I Should Take Being A Growing Teen? Anyone recommend any daily vitamins i should take? please provide the store i can get em at and the price. what it does and all the details please. also any random health tips would be appreciated. thanks.
A multi vitamin suh as centrum is good. Flaxseed oil capsules are great as well.
Anyone Have Some Good Tips For A College Student Who Wants To Lose About 35 Pounds? Basically Im pretty lethargic due to the studying….I do a fair bit of walking and I dont eat fast food more than a coupla times a month, but I seem to keep gaining weight. Basically I need some health tips or some way of beginning to get rid of the buddha belly.
As a fellow student, I understand your struggle. My butt feels constantly glued to a seat and I don’t have the time or attention for planning healthy meals. It’s tough but I manage to control my weight and even lose weight every now and then with some pretty easy tactics. Since you want to lose it, you’ll have to get serious. I would highly recommend cardio workouts. Depending on your fitness level and personal tastes you could try at home workouts like Tae Bo or you can hit the gym (in which case walking or jogging on the tredmill mixed with weights would be effective). Basically, make yourself workout even when you feel tired from studying or a long day. Next thing you know, you’ll look forward to the stress relief. Remember to watch what you eat and consider counting calories…you may be surprised how much you eat daily! Get sleep. Lack of sleep stresses the bod out and you may compensate with food. And you definitely will have less energy for workouts. GOOD LUCK!
I’m Trying To Loose Weight, What Are Some Health Tips? I’m making a modeling portfolio, and I know I need to be slimmer. What are some health tips, such as eating veggies, and colors to dress in the make you look slimmer? What is skinny for height 5’8″? I am Indian (India) & German and I have blue eyes.
Unfortunately there are no easy ways to permanently lose weight and most people who lose weight regain it all.
A vegetarian or vegan diet for the rest of your life might perhaps be a good option as very few vegetarians or vegans are overweight.
If you want a life changing permanent weight loss you need to follow a maintenance diet for the rest of your life after you reach your target weight with one of the many diets you can choose from.
You can see further details in a web search for “how to lose weight and keep it off”.