Here’s another reason to drop that doughnut and hit the treadmill: A new study suggests aerobic fitness affects long-term memory.
Michigan State University researchers tested 75 college students during a two-day period and found those who were less fit had a harder time retaining information.
“The findings show that lower-fit individuals lose more memory across time,” said Kimberly Fenn, study co-author and assistant professor of psychology.
The study, which appears online in the research journal Cognitive, Affective & Behavioral Neuroscience, is one of the first to investigate young, supposedly healthy adults. Previous research on fitness and memory has focused largely on children, whose brains are still developing, and the elderly, whose memories are declining.
Participants studied related word pairs such as “camp” and “trail.” The next day, they were tested on the word pairs to evaluate long-term memory retention. Long-term memory is anything remembered more than about 30 seconds ago.
Aerobic fitness was gauged by oxygen consumption derived from a treadmill test and factored with the participants’ weight, percent body fat, age and sex.
The findings speak to the increasingly sedentary lifestyles found in the United States and other Western cultures. A surprising number of the college students in the study were significantly out of shape and did much worse at retaining information than those who were extremely fit, Fenn said.
http://voiceandspeech.com/voice-problems.html# If I had to choose only one voice exercise, I would choose the Spinal Roll. It’s so simple, but there’s no end…
Video Rating: 4 / 5
<p>Question by Brenda: Oblique exercises….?
any good oblique exercises?
Answer by Thomas
Here is a list of several oblique exercises and stretches:
Here is the best way to lose weight effectively:
1. Eating more will boost metabolism and lead to weight lose. Eat 6 small meals each day. Eat non-processed fresh fruit for breakfast when you wake up and then another serving of non-processed fresh fruit for your second meal a couple hours later. For lunch, eat a serving of meat, preferably white portion chicken or fish, broiled or baked, not fried or processed. Add two servings of non-processed fresh vegetables to this meal. For your next meal, eat one or two servings of non-processed fresh vegetables. Then for dinner, eat another serving of meat, preferably white portion chicken or fish, broiled or baked, not fried or processed. Add one or two servings of non-processed fresh vegetables to this meal.
2. Eating the right foods will lead to weight lose. With your 6 meals, eat only low glycemic foods. Low glycemic foods have a glycemic index of 20-49. Occasionally, your meals can include foods with a glycemic index of 50-69. Avoid any foods with a glycemic index of 70-100. Avoid processed foods and eat only fresh foods. Here is a website that lists the glycemic index of various foods:
3. Drinking the right beverages will lead to weight lose. Replace sodas and sweetened beverages with water and hot herbal teas, especially green tea without sugar or artificial sweeteners. Avoid alcohol, including beer, liquor and wine.
4. Improving your cardio health will lead to weight lose. Begin doing at least 30 minutes of cardio exercises 4-5 times each week. Walking, jogging, swimming, dancing, and aerobics are good cardio exercises.
5. Replacing fat cells with muscle will lead to weight lose. Begin doing at least 30 minutes of weight training 3-4 times each week. Be sure to exercise each muscle group. Some resistance exercises require only your body weight and all muscle groups can be exercised with a set of dumbbells. Here is a site that illustrates various exercises that can be performed in any environment:
Exercise directory: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
6. Stretching improves muscle health. Stretch for 5-10 minutes before and after exercising. Be sure to stretch each muscle group. Here is a site for various stretches:
Stretch directory: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
7. Sleep helps your body recover. Sleep at least 8-10 hours each night. Your body needs ample time to repair itself and recharge.
Following these seven steps will lead to weight lose and a healthier body composition. Stay committed to your goal and you will see the changes.
What do you think? Answer below!
Does your child get enough exercise? You can get your children more active with these 5 fun parenting tips.
In just four steps, you can improve your health for the better and this article will show you how. The steps below are bite-sized nuggets of health information you can actually use to live a healthy life. Here we go… Nutritional supplements are the first step As far as I’m concerned, they are very important […]
Several food and nutrition trends were in the spotlight this year, including the continued rise of plant-based diets, non-dairy ice creams and superfoods that are blasts from the past — legumes, apples and cabbage. It can be easy to experience nutrition whiplash in the New Year, but don’t be a victim. Get a jump-start on […]
If you want to lose weight, you’re not alone. More than half of Americans desire to shed pounds, according to Gallup. This goal inspires people to take action in many ways, from increasing exercise to modifying meals. One thing many people do is skip breakfast in order to lower calorie intake. While this may seem […]