We’ve officially survived Thanksgiving, but the looming holiday season battle of the bulge is still upon us. With holiday parties and cookie swaps on the horizon, it’s easy to overlook calories and lose motivation this time of year. Here are 10 small steps you can take to not only keep you on track now, but give you a leg up on your New Year’s resolution!
1. Put new workout gear on your gift wish list. It sounds superficial but nice workout gear really can make you feel better during a workout, and be an incentive to get you moving. Those breathable, comfortable and flattering fabrics can get pricey though, which is why adding them to your gift wish list is a win-win. Your friends and family will enjoy giving you the gift of better health and you’ll enjoy exercising more.
2. Make sure “yule” log! Logging food and exercise keeps us accountable, but it can be slightly more burdensome, and maybe even a little bit scary this time of year with all of those tempting holiday party hors d’oeuvres, desserts and cocktails around. Taking the extra minute or two to log those Pigs in a Blanket and that pomegranate martini can allow you to better budget those calories and plan an extra workout in advance, so you can stay on top of your goals.
3. Take a weight loss vacation. If weight loss is a goal of yours, put it on the back burner during the holidays. Just aim not to gain any weight instead. In the grand scheme of things, taking a short amount of time off from trying to lose weight won’t hurt, but being overly ambitious in the face of all of these holiday indulgences might be just discouraging enough to make you give up altogether.
4. Sign up for a New Year’s race. Whether you’re a walker, jogger, cycler, swimmer or triathlete, there are lots of races happening during the holidays. New Year’s Day races are great because training will keep you active during the hectic holiday season. Sign up friends and family members for more fun, support and motivation. Just search the web for a New Year’s Day race near you.
5. Plan one active outing for every holiday celebration. Coordinate a family hike or sign up for a special workout class with a friend before the party begins.
6. Focus on food and fitness Monday through Friday. You’re probably already on a schedule during the week so build as many healthy meals and workouts into your usual weekday routine. This will give you a little wiggle-room, and an excuse to indulge or kick back and relax a bit more on the weekends.
7. Earn your treats before you indulge. Treats aren’t really enjoyable if they just leave you feeling guilty afterwards. Eat healthfully the day before heading out to that holiday party or work up a sweat before sitting down to a big holiday meal. You’ll likely enjoy what you eat even more if you know you’ve earned it!
8. Remix your own recipes. We all have our own holiday dish traditions, but sometimes making just one simple ingredient swap or poking around the Internet for a healthier version of your favorite recipe can make a huge difference, without sacrificing flavor. Cooking Light has over 15,000 delicious dishes in their recipe vaults, many of which are remixed versions of our favorite, sinful dishes. Want to try an ingredient swap yourself? Check out these 83 Healthy Recipe Substitutions from our friends at Greatist, http://greatist.com/health/83-healthy-recipe-substitutions.
9. Weigh-in weekly. The point isn’t to obsess over every pound or two, but crossing paths with a scale once a week can be used as an early warning system for preventing weight gain. In one study, 75 percent of individuals who had successfully maintained weight loss weighed themselves weekly. If you don’t own or don’t like using a scale, a well-fitting pair of pants can give you just as much insight. Since muscle weighs more than fat, noticing how your pants fit might be an even a better way to gauge if those workouts are helping you tone up and slim down.
10. Don’t wait until January to start exercising. It’s been shown that frequent exercise usually drops to its lowest point in the month of December. So now is the perfect time to get to know your way around a new gym, find an exercise class you love and introduce yourself to a new trainer. Less people will be exercising, which means you’ll get more attention. Getting your foot in the door will give you a jump-start, and an advantage over all those folks trying to make good on their New Year’s resolutions. Plus, exercising during the holidays is a great way to relieve stress and offset those extra holiday treats.
Winter workout tips to keep you motivated when it's cold outside …
Armed with these tips from fitness experts, you'll be downward dogging and burpee-ing your way straight into the New Year. http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2013/12/11/winter-workout-tips-to-keep-you-motivated-when-its-cold-outside/
Miami Herald begins offering video workout tips | Steve Rothaus …
Miami Herald editor Eddie Alvarez has launched a video series of workout hints called Fit Tip. Here are the first two videos: Fit Tip: Strengthening Biceps & Triceps, with fitness instructor Jeff Pierre, who shows how to strengthen your biceps… http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2013/12/miami-herald-begins-offering-video-workout-tips.html
WORKOUT FITNESS GLOVES Mesh Back Embossing Pad Half Finger Tips Velcro Cycling
BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT WORK OUT COMPLETE DVD BOXED SET PLAN BOOKLETS RECIPES TIPS
Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If you find […]
See if you agree with the following statement. Fat loss and weight loss are essentially the same thing, interchangeable. If, like many people, said yes, you guessed wrong. Fat loss and weight loss are not the same thing at all. In fact, they are not even close. If you browse the diet book section of […]
The new rules of weight loss: the new formula weight loss brand that eliminates confusion … reveals how to take steps to lose weight and stay slim … Quick results … look and feel best possible.
The key for fast and permanent fat loss is smarter not harder Working Today the public is confused more than ever about what is the best fat loss program is. Most people are very frustrated and confused about the most effective way to go about the best performing fat loss to get the body they […]
Veggie Pill for Fast Weight Loss, Increased Metabolism, and Appetite Suppressant Supplement – Premium Natural Ingredients That Safely Increase Your Metabolism – No Risk Full Money Back Guarantee
The aim of online fat loss websites is to provide a one-stop point for support and resources to individuals looking to lose weight. There are many different available fat weight loss online programs available that provide ways to keep fat loss safe, simple, and effective. These factors translate into a successful program. Easy To Find […]