LOS ANGELES–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
As many Americans will attest, home, sweet home isnt always a stress-free zone. With April being Stress Awareness Month, Health Net, Inc., (HNT) is offering tips designed to reduce stress at home. Homegrown stress can be traced to numerous sources a noisy environment, an unhappy spouse, financial worries, or even mundane domestic duties such as doing the laundry or mowing the lawn.
Stress is not a subject to be taken lightly. As Patricia Buss, M.D., medical and health care services operations officer for Health Net, Inc., explains, Stress has been linked to a broad range of psychological and physical disorders.
In fact, according to the American Institute of Stress, studies have uncovered a connection between stress and depression, anxiety, heart attacks, stroke, hypertension, commoncolds, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, rashes, irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis.
Symptoms of Stress
Recognizing that youre experiencing stress is the first step toward managing stress. Thefollowing are some common physical, emotional and behavioral symptoms associated withstress:
- Physical signs headaches, light-headedness, rapid breathing and heartbeat, sweaty palms, dry mouth, stomachaches and trouble sleeping or concentrating;
- Emotional signs depression, anxiety, nightmares, crying spells or feeling unable to cope;
- Behavioral signs irritability, impatience, anger, aggression, social isolation, lack of energy, changes in appetite, loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed, boredom, significant alcohol or drug use and diminished sex drive.
Ten Tips to Make your Home a Haven
Health Nets behavioral health subsidiary, Managed Health Network, Inc., offers the following strategies designed to help make your home life happier and healthier:
- Express yourself If you feel in any way mistreated by a member of your household, you need to speak up and diplomatically express whats bothering you. Doing so can serve to strengthen your self-esteem while simultaneously lowering your stress level;
- Slim down your schedule Having an overflowing home to-do list almost invariably leads to stress. Dont take on too many projects or commitments at once. Learn to prioritize and say no;
- Select a stress-management activity Find a relaxation-inducing activity and weave it into your daily routine. Examples include meditating, doing yoga, knitting, listening to music or gardening;
- Take action For many people, financial pressures are a major source of stress. Taking action to address the issue can help you feel more in control of the situation, and this in turn could help lessen your stress. Possible action steps include creating a budget, increasing your savings and exploring ways to earn more income;
- Accept what you cant control There are many situations in life that simply are out of our control, and if you fail to recognize such situations, your stress level is likely to skyrocket. By learning to distinguish between those instances in which you can have an impact and those in which you cannot, you may feel both more productive and less overwhelmed;
- Surround yourself with supportive people The people you consider to be your inner circle should be sources of solace, not stress. If this isnt the case, its time to re-examine just who should be in that circle;
- Get organized Living in an organized, tidy house coupled with creating a feasible, prioritized home to-do list brings with it a sense of control; and that sense of control may be accompanied by a decrease in stress. Additionally, by developing a system that corrals household items such as keys, sunglasses, and cell phones you may avoid that frazzled feeling that comes with constantly being in search mode;
- Make time for fun Simple activities can make for a home steeped in happiness, not stress. Consider these simple but fun pastimes reading to your child, playing with a pet, or making a meal with family or friends;
- Create a personal space Its important for each of us to have a physical space where we can spend time away from others. This doesnt have to be a formal space; it can simply be a lounge chair in the backyard or a couch in the basement anywhere that enables you to relax and quiet your thoughts.
- Infuse your home with calm Your homes physical surroundings can contribute to creating a sense of calm, so integrate natural elements such as stone, wood and plants. Its also recommended that walls be painted in cool, calming colors such as light greens and soft blues. Another suggestion is to integrate soothing lighting by using lamps with dimmer switches.
While stress can never be completely removed from any environment, these tips will help keep the sweet in home, sweet home.
Medical Advice Disclaimer
The information provided is not intended as medical advice or as a substitute for professional medical care. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical condition and follow your health care providers instructions.
About Health Net
Health Net, Inc. is a publicly traded managed care organization that delivers managed health care services through health plans and government-sponsored managed care plans. Its mission is to help people be healthy, secure and comfortable. Health Net provides and administers health benefits to approximately 5.3million individuals across the country through group, individual, Medicare (including the Medicare prescription drug benefit commonly referred to as Part D), Medicaid, U.S. Department of Defense, including TRICARE, and Veterans Affairs programs. Health Net also offers behavioral health, substance abuse and employee assistance programs, managed health care products related to prescription drugs, managed health care product coordination for multi-region employers, and administrative services for medical groups and self-funded benefits programs.
For more information on Health Net, Inc., please visit Health Nets website at www.healthnet.com.
- Health Care Industry
- Mental Health
- Health Net
- ^ Health Net, Inc. (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ HNT (finance.yahoo.com)
- ^ www.healthnet.com (cts.businesswire.com)
Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:22:02 GMT Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition)By C.D. Shelton Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: long life(8), healthy living(8), health tips(8), live long(8), health and wellness(7), longevity(7), live longer(7), healthy lifestyle(7), health(7), health and fitness(7), healthy aging(7) http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Living-Fit-100-Longevity-ebook/dp/B007DCBIQ8/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Weight Loss Tips: Concise Advices For Losing Weight And Prevent It From Coming Back Again (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 6 times
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:45:00 GMT Weight Loss Tips: Concise Advices For Losing Weight And Prevent It From Coming Back Again (Kindle Edition)By Stephen Williams Buy new: $4.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: health tips(6), weight loss(5), shedding pounds(4), losing weight(4), healthy lifestyle(4), dropping inches(4), weight loss tips(3), diet(2), tips for losing weight, health, how to lose weight, healthy weight loss http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Tips-Concise-Advices-ebook/dp/B009MZ673I/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
USA Swimming – 6 Health Tips for National Nutrition Month
March is National Nutrition Month, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics posted 14 health tips for 2014 (http://www.eatright.org/nnm/handoutsandtipsheets/#.UxpID_2PLtQ). Here are the some of the tips revisited for … http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=5936&mid=8712
Health Tips | A 90 Day Health Challenge for Colorado Springs. http://www.uchroadtohealth.org/health-tips/
100 Pcs Wooden Cotton Swab Tip For Medical Cure Health Make-up Stick
THE BIG BOOK OF HEALTH TIPS
Does your child get enough exercise? You can get your children more active with these 5 fun parenting tips.
In just four steps, you can improve your health for the better and this article will show you how. The steps below are bite-sized nuggets of health information you can actually use to live a healthy life. Here we go… Nutritional supplements are the first step As far as I’m concerned, they are very important […]
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]