With rising health care expenses and a lingering recession, many Americans are wondering how theyll get the care they need without falling deeper into debt.
Medical costs are among the biggest budget busters, especially when health issues are unexpected, said Mike Sullivan, director of education for Take Charge America, a national non-profit credit counseling agency. While some bills cant be prevented, you may be surprised that you can drastically cut your overall health care expenses by questioning, negotiating and shopping around.
Sullivan explains further with these 10 tips for saving money on health care:
- Stay Healthy: First and foremost commit to healthy living. Eat well, exercise and steer clear of unhealthy habits like smoking and excessive drinking. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, medical expenses for an obese person are about 42 percent higher than someone of healthy weight. Likewise, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention says it costs 18 percent more to insure a smoker.
- Take Preventive Action: Preventive care is crucial for keeping health care costs down over time, and many insurance plans now provide preventive-care screenings without charging deductibles and copays. Annual well-visits give your doctor an opportunity to provide necessary medical advice and identify health concerns before they become major issues.
- Choose In-Network Providers: If you have medical insurance, choose in-network health care providers to keep your out-of-pocket costs down. This applies to your family doctor, specialists, healthcare facilities and even medical labs.
- Assess Urgency: If you need to see a doctor after hours, consider an urgent care or convenience-care clinic over the ER. You can save hundreds of dollars for relatively minor issues like a sprained ankle or the flu.
- Maximize Your Deductible: If youre close to meeting (or have already met) your insurance deductible, schedule any necessary medical procedures or physician visits in the same calendar year. Your deductible starts over at years end, and waiting to schedule procedures means youll pay a larger share of the cost.
- Inquire About Medical Necessities: Some medical procedures are urgent and necessary, others are less so. If money is tight especially if youre a private-pay patient ask your doctor about the feasibility of delaying your procedure.
- Negotiate Costs: If you need to see a doctor and youre paying out of pocket, be sure to compare prices. Its important to know, too, that many providers will negotiate prices or provide cash discounts to private-pay patients. While the ER is no place to barter, consider this tactic for non-urgent or elective procedures.
- Review Your Coverage: If youre self-insured, review your coverage annually to make sure youre not under- or over-insured. If youre insured through work, evaluate your plan during open enrollment. With health-care reform changes and a variety of insurance plans to choose from, the coverage you selected last year may no longer be the best option.
- Find Rx Discounts: Many pharmacies extend special offers on prescription drugs. One pharmacy may advertise a $4 cholesterol medication while another may offer a low-price on blood-pressure meds. Be sure to shop around. If you have multiple prescriptions, it may be more cost effective to fill them at separate pharmacies. Additionally, ask your doctor to prescribe generics whenever possible.
- Consider Online and Mail-Order Prescriptions: Search Web and mail-order pharmacies for deep discounts. Some even offer a three-month supply of drugs for the same price as one month at a neighborhood pharmacy.
About Take Charge America, Inc.
Take Charge America, Inc., a non-profit financial education, credit counseling, housing counseling and debt management agency, is dedicated to helping consumers nationwide improve their financial futures. Founded in 1987, the organization has helped more than 1.6 million consumers nationwide manage their personal finances and debts. To learn more, visit www.takechargeamerica.org or call (888) 822-9193.
- ^ Take Charge America, a national non-profit credit counseling agency (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ www.takechargeamerica.org (cts.businesswire.com)
Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:18:28 GMT Sole Source TIPS Cuticle Conditioner – Liquid Filled Cotton Swabs (Misc.)By Sole Source Click for more info Customer tags: cuticle care(8), health(8), cuticle(8), cuticle conditioner(8), health tips(8), beauty tips(8), beauty favorites(8), b003o1x4yq http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Source-TIPS-Cuticle-Conditioner/dp/B003NSETFI/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:22:02 GMT Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition)By C.D. Shelton Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: long life(8), healthy living(8), health tips(8), live long(8), health and wellness(7), longevity(7), live longer(7), healthy lifestyle(7), health(7), health and fitness(7), healthy aging(7) http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Living-Fit-100-ebook/dp/B007DCBIQ8/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Wilderness Medicine Founder Offers Health Tips for Summer – Elsevier
Wilderness Medicine Founder Offers Health Tips for Summer Season. Philadelphia, PA, April 18, 2012 Good fortune favors the well prepared, says Paul S. Auerbach, MD, a founder and past President of the Wilderness Medical Society and … http://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/wilderness-medicine-founder-offers-health-tips-for-summer-season
Five Health Tips to Decalcify the Pineal Gland | Conscious Life News
Fluoride is very harmful to the pineal gland because it disrupts the pineal gland's natural functions by hardening its interior walls. http://consciouslifenews.com/five-health-tips-decalcify-pineal-gland/1141164/
——-+++++++++Health And Beauty Tips That Experts Also Miss
DR. SEUSS “Seuss-isms for Success” Insider Tips on Economic Health
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]