SALEM, Ore.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Grass Seed USA, a coalition of American grass seed farmers and turf specialists, along with The Lawn Institute offer steps to prepare your lawn for this years drought season.
It looks like this summer could bring another long drought season and homeowners should prepare their lawn to help it withstand the long, dry summer months, said Bryan Ostlund, Grass Seed USA executive director. By taking these preparations, you will greatly improve the health and stress tolerance of your lawn in difficult conditions.
1. Reduce or eliminate nitrogen fertilizer. It overly promotes leaf growth at the cost of rooting activity. Fertilize in the fall when top growth slows and root growth increases.
2. Avoid all weed killers (herbicides) when its hot. They can cause stress on turf plants.
3. Reduce thatch and compaction as early in the year as possible so moisture and air can reach the roots easily. Thatch acts like a sponge, capturing water before it reaches roots, while compaction will increase rapid run-off at the cost of deep saturation.
4. Sharpen the mower blade several times during the turf-growing season. Dull blades shred rather than cleanly cut grass and shredded turf can promote disease and can greatly increase water losses.
5. Mow only as needed and when it’s cooler. No matter how you cut it, grasses lose moisture after every mowing.
6. Mow as high as possible, no more than the top third of the grass, throughout the year to promote deep rooting and maximize soil shading. Although studies have shown that taller grasses can use more water, there is a greater benefit to deep roots and reduced soil moisture loss from evaporation.
7. Leave clippings to add moisture, nutrients and a mulching effect; however, break up clumps because they will block the sun and heat as they decay, killing the under-lying grass.
8. Employ a responsible water usage program during the dry months.
- Rethink your expectations of your lawn. Dark green lawns may not be the healthiest or the most practical in light of potential water shortages.
- Check your irrigation system to ensure water is landing uniformly where you want it and not on impervious surfaces.
- Water early in the morning to take advantage of cooler temperatures and less evaporative losses to the afternoon winds and hot sun.
- Water infrequently and deeply to encourage roots to go deeper where moisture remains available for longer periods of time.
- Let the grass go dormant naturally by withholding water, except for a quarter-inch every four to six weeks to keep the vital grass crowns hydrated and capable of greening up when temperatures cool and moisture is again available.
9. Reduce traffic on the lawn at all times if possible, and especially during the heat of the day when foot traffic and lawn mowers can injure the grass plants and cause almost immediate dehydration. When cooler, wetter weather returns, help your lawn recover from a drought by watering deeply. This will wash dust off the leaves, re-hydrate the dormant crowns and initiate root growth.
About Grass Seed USA
Grass Seed USA is a national coalition of grass seed farmers and academic turf specialists with a wealth of experience in studying, growing and harvesting grass and grass seed. The coalition seeks to inform and educate residential and commercial customers about the benefits of grass and best practices for responsibly growing and maintaining healthy turf. For more information, visit www.weseedamerica.com.
- ^ Grass Seed USA (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ The Lawn Institute (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ www.weseedamerica.com (cts.businesswire.com)
Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 8 times
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:22:02 GMT Healthy Living (Fit to 100: Secrets to Health and Longevity) (Kindle Edition)By C.D. Shelton Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: long life(8), healthy living(8), health tips(8), live long(8), health and wellness(7), longevity(7), live longer(7), healthy lifestyle(7), health(7), health and fitness(7), healthy aging(7) http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Living-Fit-100-ebook/dp/B007DCBIQ8/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Weight Loss Tips: Concise Advices For Losing Weight And Prevent It From Coming Back Again (Kindle Edition) tagged “health tips” 6 times
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:45:00 GMT Weight Loss Tips: Concise Advices For Losing Weight And Prevent It From Coming Back Again (Kindle Edition)By Stephen Williams Buy new: $4.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: health tips(6), weight loss(5), shedding pounds(4), losing weight(4), healthy lifestyle(4), dropping inches(4), weight loss tips(3), diet(2), tips for losing weight, health, how to lose weight, healthy weight loss http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Tips-Concise-ebook/dp/B009MZ673I/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Improve Your Memory – Brain Health Tips – AARP
Want to improve your memory? Here are 6 steps you should follow. http://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-06-2013/brain-health-inside-e-street.html
Healthy Beauty: How To Tips – WebMD
Featured Content. Family at airport Traveling abroad? Protect yourself and your family by learning which health precautions and vaccines are advised for your destination. Our Best Pregnancy & Parenting Tips. Family and Pregnancy Centers … http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/app-healthybeauty-howto?src=RSS_PUBLIC
Great Health Hints and Handy Tips : More Than 4,000 Ideas to Help You Look…
2013-05-24T01:28:07.000Z $4.25 (0 Bids)
End Date: Thursday May-30-2013 18:27:06 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list
Total Pet Lighted EAR SCOPE & Two Tips Dog Health Care ~New
End Date: Sunday Jun-9-2013 19:11:47 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $23.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list
Health & Vitality: the Way to Good Health
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
Science-based Suggestions for self-confidence
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
5 ways to feel good while getting fit
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
When buying hearing aids: 6 essential things to know
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]
Health Tips And Vitamins I Should Take Being A Growing Teen? Anyone recommend any daily vitamins i should take? please provide the store i can get em at and the price. what it does and all the details please. also any random health tips would be appreciated. thanks.
A multi vitamin suh as centrum is good. Flaxseed oil capsules are great as well.
Can You Give Me Some Health Tips? I need some health tips. You see I am making a health book. I want to give the world a medical health book. Therefore I need health tips.
How Can I Get Healthy? -Health Tips? This year, I made it a point to become healthy. I have lost some weight and got rid of some acne.
I really want to be healthy, and make sure that I look healthy.
Can you give me some all over health tips?
Im a teen girl by the way.
The best advice I can give you is exercise daily and eat well. Eat at least 5 portions of fruit or vegetables a day. Try to cut out as much sugar and snacks as you can manage. Drink plenty of water. Exercise for about 30 minutes a day, remember this does not have to be running a million miles and lifting 10 ton weights. Walking is an excellent form of exercise and is great because you can walk briskly around shops whilst looking at really cute outfits!
I hope this helps!
What Are Some Basic Tips To Give To Kids About Staying Healthy? I’m trying to teach my 6 year old nephew how to stay healthy. I need tips from eating right, to being active and maintaining hygiene. Any health tips you expect a 6 yr old kid to understand.
You should tell them to eat lots of smaller meals and to eat slowly so that their bodies are more able to recognize when they are full. Also its important to drink lots of water and fruit juice rather than soda. Try and encourage him to stay away from junk food and eat fruit or something healthy when he wants a snack. Also teach him to be active, that playing sports and running around is good for you as well as fun. Also teach him the basics of hygiene like showering daily and brushing his teeth 3 times a day. Try and make it all fun for him though, as kids respond more to things that they find enjoyable.
Anyone Have Some Good Tips For A College Student Who Wants To Lose About 35 Pounds? Basically Im pretty lethargic due to the studying….I do a fair bit of walking and I dont eat fast food more than a coupla times a month, but I seem to keep gaining weight. Basically I need some health tips or some way of beginning to get rid of the buddha belly.
As a fellow student, I understand your struggle. My butt feels constantly glued to a seat and I don’t have the time or attention for planning healthy meals. It’s tough but I manage to control my weight and even lose weight every now and then with some pretty easy tactics. Since you want to lose it, you’ll have to get serious. I would highly recommend cardio workouts. Depending on your fitness level and personal tastes you could try at home workouts like Tae Bo or you can hit the gym (in which case walking or jogging on the tredmill mixed with weights would be effective). Basically, make yourself workout even when you feel tired from studying or a long day. Next thing you know, you’ll look forward to the stress relief. Remember to watch what you eat and consider counting calories…you may be surprised how much you eat daily! Get sleep. Lack of sleep stresses the bod out and you may compensate with food. And you definitely will have less energy for workouts. GOOD LUCK!
What Good Health Tips For Blood Type O? Can you help me with health tips for blood type o ?
i need information like what the best food, best sport, and other..
Owner blood group O is worth fortunate, especially for those who like meat. They can eat as much meat, except processed meat. But this blood group also must compensate by eating more vegetables, too. It may also eat
type of vegetable oil, olive oil and fresh fruit. What must be avoided or restricted are: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard greens, sprouts, eggplant, mushrooms and potatoes.
Here’s disease is often found in people blood O
– Intestinal and digestive disorders,
– Poor blood circulation,
– Back pain and spinal cord,
– High cholesterol levels,
– High blood pressure,
– High uric acid levels,
– Heart attack,
– Clogged arteries.
-Very strong immune system
-Stress can be responded premises of physical activity
-Easy to adapt to a variety of foods in an environment that is occupied
-Not suitable on a diet
-It is advisable to consume foods high in protein and low in carbohydrates like: meat, fruit, fish, and vegetables.
Type of sport:
Doing aerobic exercise that moves a lot and fast (high impact), it could be physical exercise like running and martial arts.
Here are tips on matters involving the O blood type diet:
Very useful: Cows, buffaloes, goats, deer, liver / heart, cod, shark fish, yellow tail fish
Neutral: goldfish, eels, lobster, tuna, sardines, shrimp. eggs, butter, Tempe, tofu, soy milk, wheat, rice
Abstinence: pork meat, squid, cuttlefish, clams, frogs, octopus, quail, ice cream, cheese, cow milk, yoghurt’s
I only get this information from:
There is also information for other blood group,
for blood group A:
for blood group B:
for blood group AB:
hopefully can be useful ..
How To Be Prepared For Losing My Virginity? Tips On What To Wear,what To Do With My Body Etc.? I’m a girl and I’m going to be losing my virginity soon.. I just wanted some tips on what to do, what to wear and such.. Health tips, anything really that can help me!:) mostly from girls with experiences and helpfull tips 🙂
Like the other gal said, be comfortable. if you dont feel comfortable with losing it, then dont do it. losing your virginity may not seem like a big deal right now, but it might later on in the future, so just make sure that you are ready for that big step 🙂 wear what makes you feel good.
and most definitely do a lot of foreplay to get you in the mood.
have fun 🙂
one last thing, prepare yourself to bleed a little bit and it will hurt. once you start having sex more it wont hurt as much.