(BPT) – They say you’re only as young as you feel, and if you’re an older American, the ability to feel young a little while longer is always appealing. Having a youthful state of mind goes a long way toward accomplishing this goal, but you can’t ignore the importance of solid physical health.
To improve your physical and mental health and prove age is just a number, apply these five tips from Mayo Clinic today.
* Find the perfect interval. If you’ve never participated in high-intensity interval training before, here’s a compelling reason to start. Researchers at the Mayo Clinic found high-intensity aerobic exercise actually reversed some cellular aspects of aging. The research also found that the exercise improved muscle proteins, enlarged muscles and increased energy levels.
* The benefit of brain games. A sharp mind is every bit as important as a healthy body, and exercising your brain can be a lot of fun. Spend time learning new things on the internet, enroll in a class for that craft you’ve always wanted to master, go out with friends or sit down and play a board game. All of these activities can greatly improve your mental health. For example, a Mayo Clinic study found playing games decreased a person’s risk of mild cognitive impairment by 22 percent making this enjoyable activity healthy as well.
* Supplementing your health. Health supplements should never completely replace whole food offerings, but they may offer you real health value as well. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, supplements may be ideal for vegans and vegetarians or those who consume less than 1,600 calories per day. People with a condition affecting the way their body absorbs nutrients and those who have had surgery on their digestive tract should also speak with their doctor about supplements that may improve their overall health.
* The importance of sleep. A good night’s sleep offers health benefits at any age, but getting enough rest can be more difficult as you get older. To get a better night’s sleep, review your medications with your doctor to see if anything is impacting your rest. You should also try to limit your daytime napping (just 10 to 20 minutes per day is best) and avoid alcohol, caffeine or even water within a couple hours before bedtime.
* Focus on your sexual health. This topic may not be as widely discussed as your physical or mental health, but it is no less important. Men should talk to their doctors about their lessening testosterone levels, which drop about 1 percent per year after age 30. Women may experience a similar drop in estrogen levels as well and should consult their doctor for treatment options. Don’t be shy about discussing sexual health issues with your doctor, from STDs to annual checkups, having a thorough understanding of your current sexual health – and what you need to do to protect or improve it – will benefit every other part of your life.
With aging comes new challenges and the need to be more vigilant in maintaining your overall well-being. By incorporating some of the tips above from the experts at Mayo Clinic, you’ll make sure the best years of your life are still to come. You can learn more about improving your health at any age through the advice offered in Mayo Clinic on Healthy Aging, or visit http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle for more healthy lifestyle ideas.
Brandpoint – Free Online Content
* Subscribe to 5-Minute Crafts here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC295-Dw_tDNtZXFeAPAW6Aw?sub_confirmation=1
9 TIPS THAT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY
Health & Vitality: the Way to Good Health
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
Science-based Suggestions for self-confidence
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
5 ways to feel good while getting fit
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
When buying hearing aids: 6 essential things to know
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]
This is honestly just common sense
This is bullshit
this music saved my life
7:14 warning….not for kids…..GREAT PORN!!!
Ive been hit bye a rip current, i just know know how lucky i am 😮
But what if they aren't having a stroke they are maybe disabled cause my brother can't do a few of these things
Puedes subir los vídeos en español
For a rip she is wrong you should float on your back
1like equals somebody who cares
that feeling when you step on your dogs foot
if the car is filled with water, where do the bubbles come from??
My dad got caught in a Rip current once and the life guard told him to stay still and relax until you get back onto shore if it happened again
This is wrong, you never pat an adult or child as they said to on the back especially if they are coughing(coughing is a sign of air which means they may be able to get it out) Patting the persons back could cause the object to be logged worse than it is. Take a first aid class don't listen to YouTube!
Luke from the walking dead game could use #1
I remember when I was in a pool and I almost drowned, no one saw me about to drown but I saved my self somehow.
the drowning person, i thought it was a woman
all of your videos are amazing. i wish I soon to be like you. whoever the owner is more blessing. 🙂