(BPT) – From obligations at work to errands and chores and making time for family and friends — your plate is fuller than ever and, unfortunately, getting sick can throw a major wrench into your marathon of activities and greatly hamper your productivity.
Despite how frustrating it can be, your busy life doesn’t come to a halt when you’re sick. That’s why you need to do everything you can to start feeling better faster so you don’t fall too far behind. Take these five steps to help you get back to conquering your full to-do list in no time.
* Get plenty of sleep. With all of the hustle and bustle of your day, taking the time for sleep may seem impossible, but an established sleep schedule is one of the most important things you can do to support your health. Getting eight hours of sleep is always optimal especially when sick; however sickness can often disrupt our sleep. To help combat symptoms like sinus pressure or a stuffed nose from keeping you up, you can make easy changes like propping yourself up in bed and moisturizing the air with a humidifier or vaporizer. You may find you breathe — and sleep — easier.
* Combat your worst symptoms. When your cold and flu symptoms become too much, get some real relief. The best plan of action? Turn to your pharmacist for expert advice and medicine recommendations. Advil Cold & Sinus is the number one pharmacist recommended brand to treat your worst cold and flu symptoms. Ask for it at the pharmacy counter.
* Don’t be afraid to exercise. If your symptoms are primarily in your head and neck, you’re generally still healthy enough to exercise. Nevertheless, consider a lighter workout to get the benefits of exercise without putting too much stress on your already-suffering body. A brisk walk for 30 to 45 minutes each day while sick is recommended to help you recover. However, be sure to dress appropriately for the climate.
* Binge on super foods. We all know about the benefits of getting plenty of Vitamin C when sick, but you can also complement its effects by increasing your intake of Vitamins A, E and B6, as well as iron and zinc to help you recover faster. These helpful nutrients can be found in fruits and veggies, like sweet potatoes and carrots, whole grains and lean meats or fish, so don’t be afraid to add more of these foods to your diet when you don’t feel well.
* Drink up. Water, broth or herbal tea — the more hydrated you stay, the better. Fluids not only soothe your throat, but they also ward off dehydration, thin your mucus and help your body systems function adequately — which, in turn, helps your immune system function at its best. With that said, not all drinks are created equal; stay away from caffeinated or alcoholic drinks. These beverages will actually increase dehydration, not relieve it.
Being sick can be painful enough without the fear of missing out on important activities, so follow these tips to get back on your feet as fast as possible. To learn more about Advil Cold and Sinus, visit www.respiratory.advil.com/advil-cold-and-sinus.
* For more of Ready Media’s work, check out www.facebook.com/JoelReadyMedia and www.ReadyMedia.org
For more on Josh Healey, check out www.facebook.com/JoshJHealey
I am miserably lost, I just can’t find it
It’s like being millions of miles from the treasure,
Yet you’re standing right behind it.
I’ve been searching everywhere for acceptance,
But all the more I am denied it.
And even on my brighter days,
It’s impossible to hide it.
How can I conceal this canyon inside of my soul?
While I am under the role of erosion, a hopeless implosion,
Rotting away, like there’s no shot today,
For me to be whole.
Constantly feeling purposeless, like setting a thousand glamorous goals.
And reaching every last one, without ever understanding my role…
This cycle eats away, like a chewer’s mouth full of Skoal.
Alone, Like the unredeemable separation the south feels from the North Pole.
And trying to make everything appear ok does nothing in this cold,
It’s like taking manure and coating it in gold.
With all due respect please don’t provide directions, where I will be told
To find another copy of “finding happiness for dummies”, I’ll never be sold.
Perhaps this diagnosis is a wretched discontentment,
Disconnected from true value, from true meaning left bereft.
Where life violently rips any piece of peace we’re left with.
And kicks us to the curb,
We are disturbed by our versions of happiness that turned out to be myths.
Misled by the talking heads and their masquerade of tricks.
Meanwhile the media loudly whispers that cheap thrills will make us rich.
And this, I beg to fix.
But I can’t be in the mix,
I must trust in Something that can free me from this glitch.
Like Someone who knows the sting of a thorn, but loves despite the prick.
Is there a Source of meaning,
In a lost-unraveling world, a stitch?
If there was, I’d be fixed.
I’d be broken but I’d be fixed,
In the way you fix a fire with broken sticks.
Such meaning I wish to find,
Because all my life, these “meanings” have missed.
No doctor do I know to tote an antidote like this.
To medicate my identity,
One that’s lost in deep remiss.
Maybe we’re searching for restoration,
From the God that we’ve dismissed.
But refused to admit we missed him, because our hearts were sick
But I guess some of us would rather die from disease than feel the healing prick.
So we cry out: “What I covet, what I hold, please remove it from my fists,
I beg of You to take it, Though my flesh resists the risk.
Please bring to fruition within me, the work that pierced Your wrists.
Breathing meaning into my life, the only meaning that exists.
“Fruition” Spoken Word
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]