(BPT) – Every year in the U.S., there are more colds than people. Annually, nearly 320 million Americans catch 1 billion colds, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Seven in 10 people will turn to over-the-counter (OTC) medicines to help them feel better — and many of these medicines may contain acetaminophen.
In fact, acetaminophen is one of the most commonly used drug ingredients to reduce pain and fever, found in more than 600 OTC and prescription (Rx) medicines. When used as directed, it is safe and effective. However, taking more than the maximum daily dose (4,000 milligrams) is an overdose, and can lead to liver damage.
“Family members play an important role as caregivers when administering medicines safely,” says Mark Gibbons, director of programs and operations at Caregiver Action Network, a member of the Acetaminophen Awareness Coalition (AAC). “It’s important to double check all medicine labels to be sure you’re not accidentally doubling up on acetaminophen.”
Each year, acetaminophen overdose causes about 26,000 hospitalizations. It’s important to know the dose that is right for you and your loved ones. With the arrival of cold and flu season, the AAC’s Know Your Dose campaign offers some helpful tips for preventing illness and safe medicine guidelines if you do get sick.
You can do a lot to protect yourself and your family from getting sick, including:
* Get vaccinated for the flu. It’s the best way to minimize the chance you’ll get the flu and spread it to others. Even if you got a flu shot last year, you need to get one this year, too. Each year’s shot is different, specifically designed to prevent the strain of flu expected to be most prevalent this year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend anyone 6 months and older get vaccinated.
* Be diligent about washing your hands regularly. Each time you wash, scrub for at least 20 seconds — about how long it would take to run through two renditions of “Happy Birthday.”
* Avoid actions that spread germs, like touching your face, especially the eyes, nose and mouth. If you do get sick, stay home from school or work to avoid spreading germs to others.
* Maintain good health habits, including getting plenty of sleep, exercising regularly, drinking plenty of fluids and eating nutritious food. All these actions help build your immune system.
Know your dose
If you or a family member does fall ill, you may decide to treat symptoms with medicine, which might contain acetaminophen. To ensure you’re using acetaminophen safely, follow these steps:
* Always read the label on any medicine you take. Be sure you understand and follow the dosing instructions.
* Know if your medicine contains acetaminophen. It’s important to know which of the medicines you’re taking contain acetaminophen so you can ensure you’re not taking too much.
* Take only one medicine that contains acetaminophen at a time. Taking more than one medicine that contains acetaminophen could put you at risk for exceeding the maximum daily dose.
If you have questions about an OTC or prescription medicine that you’re taking, talk to a healthcare provider.
* I wanted to share this remedy with you guys. A lot of people, like my family, have been during this for years. As a kid, I could remember drinking a hot toddy before bed around the colder months and feeling a lot better the next day or so. This mixture is good for the cold and flu season. Kiss your sore throats, goodbye! Use everything mentioned in moderation. Do not over use this mixture, as it does contain alcohol. Consider this in the form of any over the counter medicine that you would consume, if you were sick. If you are on mediation or have specifications from a doctor, please do not try this.
3 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Whiskey
2 cups of Water
Neutral Fall Day Look – http://youtu.be/S4YdS-XflgE
Outfit of the Day – http://youtu.be/ghesFuN-B58
Remember to follow me on all of the social media @:
I’M AN ARTIST
Background Music: Topher Mohr and Alex Elena “Sunflower”
Dance Music: Brilliant Music “Feel good, Feel fine”
Not Feeling Well? Hot Toddy Recipe for Cold & Flu Season (Home Remedy)
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]