Nutritionist Keri Glassman, who regularly shares her expertise on Access Hollywood and Access Hollywood Live, is answering your nutrition, diet, and health questions.
Want to know which foods to curb sugar cravings? Or, what should you eat before a workout? Ask Keri anything, HERE !
PLAY IT NOW: 101 Recipes You Can’t Live Without: The Prevention Cookbook Demonstration
This week’s question…
“I’ve always been told that when it comes time to lose weight, I need to check the technology at the door. But lately I’ve been hearing that technology can help, not hinder, my weight loss! Do you have any suggestions for how to do this in the New Year?” -Elizabeth C., NY, NY
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Body After Baby: Stars Who Slimmed Down After Giving Birth 
Once upon a time we may have viewed technology as a bridge to a sedentary lifestyle and an easy path to weight gain. But in recent years technology has evolved and provided us with efficient platforms to improve our health and nutrition. If you haven’t already, it’s time to embrace the “tech-age” and ring in the New Year (literally, ring) with ways to use electronics to your advantage. Looks like your thumbs won’t be the only thing that gets a workout in 2013!
1) Accountability: Getting in shape is always easier (and more fun!) when you have a buddy to do it with. The buddy-system keeps us focused and motivated to stick to our healthy routines. Accessible platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google Hangout, Skype and even text message (I use ALL of these platforms to help my clients!) have made communication as simple and routine as brushing our teeth in the morning. No excuses… as long as technology is around, we can use it to our advantage for staying in touch and being accountable to our health and fitness buddies. So find a friend. It doesn’t have to be your best friend or even one on your side of the country. Just pick someone who can check in on you, get fit with you, and encourage and support you (as long as you do the same for them). And if you’re having trouble finding a buddy? Well, there’s an app for that…
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hollywood’s Hottest Beach Bodies — The Guys! 
2) There’s an app for that! As if you need yet another reason to love technology, there are a whole slew of new apps geared towards leading a healthier lifestyle. Need a 5-minute arm workout? There’s an app for that. Need some motivational tips? Yup, there’s an app for that, too. Need an eight-second breath counter? Well, you already know the answer to that. Whether your goal is to lose weight, exercise more, or eat healthier, there are apps that help with just about anything. These programs allow you to set calorie allowances for yourself, track your progress (literally, some of them have GPS trackers that can actually monitor your routine), and even help you find a fitness buddy. If you don’t want to spend money on a personal trainer then you’re in luck because many apps are essentially digital personal trainers that work with you to help you reach your goals. A new study found that people who used smartphones to coach their weight loss programs lost more weight than those who enrolled in standard weight loss programs (I love Pear Sports for this option!) So take a look at your past diet history and see what hasn’t worked for you because most likely, there’s an app that can combat that diet woe. What are you waiting for? With the click of a button get on the app-bandwagon!
3) Educate anywhere: Ever find yourself feeling a little puzzled when strolling down the supermarket aisles, staring at a dinner menu while at a restaurant, or even just peering into your own fridge? Well, no matter where you are, you have access to a little something called, the internet. Brown rice vs. quinoa? Bikram yoga vs. Vinyasa flow? Look it up! With convenient and easy-to-use technology you’ll have a one-stop shop for news and tips from expert sources (I love the new MSN on Windows 8 for this!). With the world at your fingertips, you’ll know which aisles in the supermarket to veer away from, which dinner entre is the better option, and how to whip up a delicious and healthy stir fry from the ingredients in your own fridge! Take advantage of the fact that you can get answers as easy as 1, 2, 3 and educate yourself in the new year!
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Workin’ Up A Sweat With Stars Staying Fit 
— Terri MacLeod & Keri Glassman
Copyright 2012 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- ^ HERE (www.facebook.com)
- ^ PLAY IT NOW: 101 Recipes You Can’t Live Without: The Prevention Cookbook Demonstration (www.accesshollywood.com)
- ^ VIEW THE PHOTOS: Body After Baby: Stars Who Slimmed Down After Giving Birth (www.accesshollywood.com)
- ^ VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hollywood’s Hottest Beach Bodies — The Guys! (www.accesshollywood.com)
- ^ VIEW THE PHOTOS: Workin’ Up A Sweat With Stars Staying Fit (www.accesshollywood.com)
- ^ Keri Glassman (twitter.com)
- ^ NBC Universal, Inc (www.nbc.com)
Natural Weight Loss Secrets REVEALED: How To Lose Weight Naturally (Paperback) tagged “weight loss tips” 95 times
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:29:04 GMT Natural Weight Loss Secrets REVEALED: How To Lose Weight Naturally (Paperback)By D K Evans Click for more info Customer Rating: Customer tags: natural weight loss(97), weight loss(96), weight loss tips(95), healthy living(6), natural remedies(5), how to lose weight(5), d k evans(3), diet reviews(3), terri bork http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Weight-Loss-Secrets-REVEALED/dp/1453630325/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Weight Off (Kindle Edition) tagged “weight loss tips” 74 times
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:56:20 GMT Weight Off (Kindle Edition)By Linda Corby Buy new: $2.99 Customer tags: weight control(124), weight(123), fat loss(121), fat free(118), obesity loss(117), weight loss(116), weight loss help(116), healthy weight loss(115), my weight loss(113), how i lost weight(113), weight loss tips(74), weight management(72) http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Off-ebook/dp/B004FV540G/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Weight Loss Diet Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Weight [Expert …
The first thing that comes to mind when considering healthy weight is exercise and a weight loss diet. Definitely, exercise is very important to lose those excess pounds and unnecessary fats, but it can't be the only solution. http://healthmeup.com/news-weight-loss/weight-loss-diet-tips-for-maintaining-a-healthy-weight-expert-advice/18358
Kelly shares her weight loss tips This Is Jersey
Kelly Osbourne has launched a new campaign to help people get in shape. http://www.thisisjersey.com/lifestyle/showbiz-news/2012/12/20/kelly-shares-her-weight-loss-tips/
Yoga Books & DVD’s Lot 6 Weight Loss Fitness Work Out Beginners Tips
End Date: Friday Jan-11-2013 12:28:49 PST
Buy It Now for only: $30.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list
100 Weight-Loss Tips That Really Work by Fred A. Stutman (2006, Paperback)
2012-12-14T04:35:55.000Z $3.50 (0 Bids)
End Date: Thursday Dec-20-2012 20:35:55 PST
Buy It Now for only: $5.50
Buy It Now | Bid now | Add to watch list
You Can Help Your Child Get More Exercise By Following These 5 Tips
Does your child get enough exercise? You can get your children more active with these 5 fun parenting tips.
Better Health in Four Steps
In just four steps, you can improve your health for the better and this article will show you how. The steps below are bite-sized nuggets of health information you can actually use to live a healthy life. Here we go… Nutritional supplements are the first step As far as I’m concerned, they are very important […]
Top 4 Nutrition Predictions in the New Year
Several food and nutrition trends were in the spotlight this year, including the continued rise of plant-based diets, non-dairy ice creams and superfoods that are blasts from the past — legumes, apples and cabbage. It can be easy to experience nutrition whiplash in the New Year, but don’t be a victim. Get a jump-start on […]
5 Ways to Feel Good While Getting Fit
Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If you find […]
What Is Are Some Of Your Favorite Weight Loss Tips? What are some of your most succesfull weight loss tips?? I have my few that I live by, but I am looking for some tips on cutting down. Please only share different/ unique tips.
I know about all the common ones…. lots of water lots of rest six small meals etc.
thank you so much in advance!
In my opinion, no weight loss tips are truly successful on their own. Lots of water is not necessarily a good way, because how much water a person needs depends on the BMI of the person. 6 small meals maybe hard at times, especially when you are stuck at school or office and have no chance to eat, and then you need to eat more when you have the chance. Well, dieting is a good way to lose weight, but then it is hard to stick to a diet. For example, something like this:
2 egg, low fat Cheddar cheese omelette – 320 calories
2 slices wholemeal toast with thin smear butter – 200 calories
Large slice melon – 47 calories
Spicy Turkey Salad recipe – 304 calories
Muesli or honey nut Health Bar “Sainsbury” – 180 calories
Baked potato with 100g “Heinz” baked beans &/or Cottage cheese if desired – 300 – 400 calories (350 average)
Large helping salad fruits &/or vegetables – 100 calories
Another weight loss tip is to do interval and turbulence exercise.
Turbulence Training is a fresh plan that requires finishing three 45-minute exercise sessions each week with marginal equipment. It is an increasingly trend-setting fitness plan with the intention of helping you in the reduction of weight.
Interval training is the fitness world’s equivalent of a visit to the in-laws. The shorter and more intense the visit, the better. An interval is a short period of exercise performed at a given intensity for a specific length of time. Each interval is separated from the next interval by a short rest or lighter activity. There are no strict rules on how long or how intense the interval must be, however, changing the interval length or intensity changes the way your body works and responds to exercise.
But people have a short willpower. It may be strong at the beginning but will eventually fade as time goes on- as they realize that going on a diet is not actually as easy as they think it is. Of course, the strength of willpower differs from one person to another. This is the reason why there are people who can actually maintain a diet and exercise program for 1 year and there are people who can only maintain it for few months. Nonetheless, willpower is a big factor that dictates someone whether to continue losing weight or not.
And in my opinion, besides sticking to a diet and exercise plan, it is the ultimate willpower to stop yourself from overeating that is the #1 tip to lose weight. But that is the hardest part if you are accustomed to eating lots of food even though your body does not need it. It is partly because of the delicious taste of the food causing a craving for more. There are certain ways to fight this craving ad I found one that maybe helpful. It is a type of chocolate that can actually suppress your appetite. It will can provide Good Energy that promotes a healthy weight by providing energy while burning fat. And it helps suppress cravings for sugary snacks.
PS: Information on the Special Chocolate that I mentioned can be found on the website in the source box. Recently, they are giving away a one month free trial.
What Are Some Weight Loss Tips And Ways To Appear Thinner? I am a teenager with a problem and I need help so please help me… I’mÂ Â desperate. I have Lupus and when it flares up I have to take prednisone which causes weight gain. I want a higher self esteem. Please, can someone give me some weight loss tips like high calorie burning excersices, health food, some sort of plan and also tips to appear thinner. Thanks!
There are some good tips listed in the answers, here are a few more. Recent studies have shown that having eggs for breakfast will increase energy during the day and act as a natural weight suppressant. Have listed an article on using eggs as a weight loss food. Tracking your daily food intake and daily exercise will help a lot in determining how much you are really eating and working off each day. Have also noted a article that list a few easy ways to work exercise into your routine.
Does Anyone Know Any Good Weight Loss Tips? I’ve been struggling for the past few months to drop the last few pounds I need to fit in my cheer uniform from last year. Does anybody know any good, fast, sufficient weight loss tips that can help me drop 10-15 pounds by at least January? Please help!
The best advice I could ever give you is losing weight takes time. If you’ve tried and failed many times (which is what I am going through), you have to start slowly. Maybe start cutting out bad things in your diet little by little. You can’t expect to go from eating sugary processed foods and not exercising much to extreme healthy eating and exercising 7 days a week in one day, or even one week. You have to learn to control yourself and that means start small and keep everything under control. Another VERY important thing to remember is to NEVER EVER EVER give up! No matter if you go a whole week eating junk foods and not exercising, that does not mean you have to give up and never reach your goals. Just think, well, next week I’ll do better and get back on track. You have to believe you can do it. You have to want it for yourself and no one else.
Exercise at least 5 times per week. I suggest strength training and cardio. Let’s say Monday you walk/run for 30 minutes, then Tuesday you would do push ups and sit ups and planks, and squats and then take a break Wednesday and start back up on Thursday.
As far as your eating you really need to watch what you eat! That is the most important step. Portion control is important. If you normally get a big dinner, then cut the amount of food you get in half and that will help a lot. Another way is to get your plate and only eat 3/4 of the food you have on your plate.
Eating healthy, lean meats, whole grain breads, and staying away from sugary things and high calorie foods. Always remember that cutting out something bad with something healthy really makes a difference. Drinking sodas and eating candy bars is empty calories. If you replace those things with a whole grain waffle or one small piece of dark chocolate it will really help.
Can Someone Give Me Some Weight Loss Tips? I do gymnastics and dance. I am a female, 13 yrs, 5’4 and about 130 lbs. I feel gross. I at least want to be 100. I am planning on running in the morning along with an excersize video, at school we run for 5 minutes every day, in the evenings I will take my dogs for a walk, and doing gymnastics/dance stuff downstairs. Can anybody give me any weight loss tips.
Drink more and more water and don’t eat oily and junk food . Walking, gymnastic and dancing are good way to reduce weight. You will achieve your desired weight in some days.. Keep going..
What Are Your Best Weight-loss Tips And Motivations? How to get up each morning and go for a jog?
How to avoid the cravings?
Tell us your best weight-loss tips/motivators/play lists…anything!
When it comes to losing weight, staying motivated is one of the hardest thing to do. You tend to want to give up after not seeing results early in your program. However, you should keep you eye on your goal. Whether it is to lose 10 pounds, 25 pounds or even 100 pounds. You see the only person that knows what you really want is you. Tell yourself you can do it and follow through with your program. Below are some tips to help you stay focus and lose weight.
Tip #1- Avoid going on the scale on a regular basis. For most people the is a bad habit. You see the scale can be very discouraging. If you constantly go on the scale and do not see a decrease in your weight you will feel like giving up because you may think that your program is not working. But note that the scale can be misleading. You see while you are losing weight, you are also building muscles. Therefore it will not show on the scale since the mass of your muscles will replace the weight loss. So to avoid feeling discouraged, you should avoid the scale.
Tip #2- Do not compare your body with others. Everyone has a different genetic make up. Some people can lose weight fast while some people will take months. Now if you are comparing yourself with others, you will only discourage yourself more and not focus on your real goal that you want to achieve.
Tip #3- Treat yourself after you cross small milestones. This will motivate you to continue. So break down your long term goals into smaller goals and once you achieve one of your goals, treat yourself to something nice.