(BPT) – With the academic year in full swing, many schools across the country are administering vision screenings to students. Parents mistakenly breathe a sigh of relief upon hearing that their children “passed” the screening. What parents don’t know are the significant limitations of school-based screenings. School vision screenings fail to detect a range of potentially harmful vision issues, the American Optometric Association (AOA) reports.
Unfortunately, nine out of 10 parents think that school-based vision screenings are all their children need to confirm good eye health. But screenings miss up to 75 percent of dangerous eye conditions in children, according to AOA’s new Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guideline: Comprehensive Pediatric Eye and Vision Examination. What’s more, when a vision screening does indicate a possible problem, only 39 percent of children receive the care they need from an eye doctor.
One of the biggest hurdles to detecting poor vision is the child’s awareness of the problem. Most children with vision problems don’t know that other children see better than they do; they think their poor vision is “normal.”
“Healthy eyes and good vision are essential for every child’s development,” says AOA President Christopher Quinn, O.D. “Parents need to know that school vision screenings can miss potentially severe eye or vision problems. They cannot replace a comprehensive exam by a doctor of optometry.”
The AOA, which represents more than 44,000 optometrists, optometric professionals and optometry students in communities across the country, recently issued a new, evidence-based guideline for vision care in children that informs parents and caregivers about protecting their children’s eye health. The guideline, which is based on a three-year review of the latest research, concludes that children should receive a comprehensive eye exam during their first year of life and again between the ages of 3 and 5, before entering first grade and annually thereafter.
“Regular, comprehensive eye exams not only contribute to helping children succeed, they prevent and diagnose serious eye problems that can be more expensive to treat and cause permanent vision impairment if left undetected,” Quinn says.
Vision and academic performance
Multiple studies have linked vision problems with poor academic performance and behavioral issues. In fact, children with undetected and untreated vision problems can exhibit some of the same symptoms as kids with attention-deficit disorders, leading to false diagnoses.
“Good vision is more complex than just being able to see clearly,” Quinn says. “In order to see well enough to perform to the best of their academic abilities, children’s eyes need to focus, track, work together and judge distance and depth. Typical school vision tests only screen for nearsightedness.”
Eye health problems
A comprehensive eye exam by a doctor of optometry can help detect serious eye health and vision problems that in-school screenings simply aren’t designed to catch. These problems include amblyopia, a condition that impairs vision in one of a child’s eyes because the eye and the brain are not working together properly.
According to AOA, parents should keep these four tips in mind when it comes to their children’s eye health and safety:
1. Know that pediatric eye exams with a doctor of optometry are most likely covered by your health insurance plan. Most health insurance plans, including those sold in health insurance marketplaces, cover comprehensive pediatric eye exams.
2. Look for indicators of vision and eye-health issues in your children. Common signals that your child may have a vision problem include covering one eye, holding reading materials close to the face, a short attention span and complaining of headaches or other discomfort. Remember, most children don’t know they have a problem, so they are unlikely to say anything, even if they are struggling.
3. Prevent eye strain by monitoring use of digital devices. Increased exposure to electronic devices in and out of the classroom can cause digital eye strain, including burning or itchy eyes, headaches, blurred vision and exhaustion. AOA recommends following the 20-20-20 rule (taking a 20-second break every 20 minutes and looking at something 20 feet away), blinking frequently and adjusting your child’s computer screen to prevent glare.
4. Make sure your kids wear proper eye protection for sports and outdoor activities. Well-fitting, protective eye wear and quality sunglasses that offer UV protection are critical to maintaining key visual skills and preventing injuries.
To learn more about vision health, visit www.aoa.org.
* chowing anybody’s woken confessed reassured screamed liter favoring traction wondered reconsider realizing plow nap brain’s ebb manifests CVD HDL minutiae ducks They’ve sufficed proponents waged salvo yearlong Tulane coverage unanimously sarcasm Pundits predictors coffin headlines representative enrolled Asians demographic diehards implausible slashing upped group’s balloons publicized uptick bioelectrical impedance predictor LDL carbers pedestrian cuttingsome glean takeaways echoed study’s Lydia Bazzano compel directing dogmatic almighty Jake fascinating devoting installment I’ve mmols Wingates foggy acuity tissue’s oxidize Phinney synonymous Mistaking intriguing teamed Auburn Wolfe’s CPT impede trash Someone’s calorically reintroduction reintroduce blunts Paoli transitioned lasted Ketostix conservatively reversals lackluster telltale stroll tantamount deluge chockfull edibles aisle Who’s les courgettes serrated peeler spiralizer wonderfully hash browns mandolin dubbed cauliflower’s spuds pulverize Brassica wallop Chard sauté cremini shiitake fungi umami portobello stealthily praised dearth smear firepower backlash au naturale pint shrivelled rosy orbs lycopene Nature’s lengthwise microwavable parchment scrape benevolent gourd Radish Bok choy Watercress famously sang stoned sweetness tinged tipoff nondigestible plush stellar sniffles pucker Fillets mercury unseasoned marinades ante beloved deli spared lunchmeats Dijon collard fests fattened Cornish hen Gruyere mundane decoupled riff blending pinches mop cultured surging critters tangy horns cow’s Brie Ricotta kefir carnivores soaks brilliantly marinate Tempeh earthy mushroomy crumbling casseroles sauerkraut Pinto boast Pepitas o castoffs Sargento stringy bathed humming lofty healthyomega shops supermarkets Pepperettes Hazelnuts Bob’s fare Shirataki translucent gelatinous konjac bowlful nondescript rinse blanch Preliminary prediabetes viscous Hazelnut brewed quencher moo cartons sidestep Imbibing infuses exhaustive flapjacks marys ye sipped seltzer contradictory farther swilling interchangeably insulinogenic spur counterintuitive accessing tougher adjusts Mozzarella cucumbers kcals reservoir thriving ongoing chow insisted French’s Trimmed Uncured Portabella condensed tamari aminos steamer bubbly Ruthie ours marshmallows dye pumpkins fl Truvia Nutmeg Cloves towels masher lumpy quartered ½ generously pierced family’s else’s cleanup cooks Kosher slits slit PDF unwrap tossed bowl’s ooohs aaaahs mouthwatering Coarse wilt bakes Sprouted crumb crumbs crumble byproducts apiece appreciable granite unconditioned stepmill app Centopani eater groundbreaking world’s Evan’s insists com’s it’d befriending fluke flounder rutabaga turnips distributing rigors regimented hamburgers Animal’s flagship Pak negotiable fundamentally depleting plows wishful oversimplified depletes Karbolyn Labrada’s shuttling muscles replenished proponent dragging microtraumas pounder resynthesis disposal polymer shuttle Elasti RTD MRP EFA Charge Krill MPS rapamycin hesitate Centopani’s diner steakhouse wheelbarrow Overseas border nearest awful refrigeration Stak Iconic XL Beanie Rotisserie precooked breaded standby powered brothers McGrath Antoine Vaillant baggie brainer Nothing’s comforting goulash Slurp swole requested dad’s bursting rotini parsnips I’ll paprika Worcestershire Caraway saucepot batch Printable Frosting silicone brethren Vincenzo Masone Fritz approached days steal sanitary basa jumbo gallbladder crowns handfuls plums nectarines underconsumed drilled skulls lid poking USDA thickest translates clump cruciferous broil cardamom thankfully occasions roasting dicing drizzling facet pectin midworkout plump insides glorious skimp Tahini Cumin pretzels sing Ramen entrée zing sharpest leftover pinapple Endive chilies clove crumbles vinaigrette Kalamata pitted Oregano Bragg’s tonight’s Mendelsohn frothy stove fortunate micromanaging achievements NASCAR skimping mussels rabbit seitan grapefruits limes Melons honeydew apricots… chestnuts overanalyzing fistful plateauing stricter fistfuls arrangement honing afforded it’ll Fiber’s Satiate Yep compiled SOUTHWEST potlucks bevy ROMA SEEDED uncovered BALSAMIC yummy clocks heats PARSNIP resealable rimmed Discard FE COB THINLY spinner BURRITO RINSED GARNISHES STROGANOFF CAMPBELL’S SHERRY dente garnished Dorian coveted GROUNDED hesitation filets tenderloins scours tags grabs fattier semblance beefing thrifty exchanges D’s rodeo beeline Quaker swayed canister opts canisters measly sizzling sitcom Kris EZ sec Bathe proverbial anticipate Radar Benchmarks Robergs R Pearson Costill Fink J Pascoe Benedict Zachweija intensities Calder Yaqoob Bowtell Gelly Simeoni Rennie Wang uncompromising Welsh Kage meditative yin coincides iconoclast’s sellers efficaciously replicate brand’s Vitargo disguise bitterness reluctantly Offerings Hydra underperforming refilming raced biked deadlifted Ironman Matt Pritchard Ironmans swears triathletes Trainee Hey faceless
Протеины и анаболики и потенция. Влияние и вред протеинов для потенции
Start living a healthy life now: Here is your 7-day plan ==> Having sworn to yourself that you’ll go to the gym in the morning, how many times have you changed your mind after you woke up and did not feel like working out? We all have days when we lose our motivation to get […]
A recent study shows your perception of your own image has a profound effect on how you present yourself to the rest of the world. Those findings could be empowering since even small changes to your self-care routine can significantly boost your self-confidence. The study by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business found […]
(BPT) – Setting intentions is a powerful thing. Then when you have that shiny new gym membership in hand, you feel like nothing stands between you and your goals to get in shape once and for all. Trouble is, lack of motivation, unpreparedness and busy schedules have a way of interfering with our plans. If […]
(BPT) – Being an informed health care consumer is hard work. There is information everywhere. But how do you sift through it and make sense of it all? And how do you know what is reliable and what isn’t? Sorting through the noise when buying hearing aids is no exception. In the past several months, […]