Need some snack ideas that will help maintain or lose weight? Finding simple, tasty food options that wont break the calorie bank doesnt have to be hard with the help of the Fremont Hy-Vee registered dietitians.
Snacks high in quality nutrients and not added sugars or overly processed can be part of healthy diet. Snacking is a great pick-me-up, and it provides an opportunity to include all the important food groups in your diet. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, snacks can keep you from overeating at your next meal. And if youre an athlete, healthy snacks can help meet the increased calorie and nutrient needs of maintaining/gaining lean body mass.
Keep your snacks under 200 calories each for an average adult, or between 200-300 calories for athletes, and limit snacks to one or two a day. Think of snacks as mini-meals that contribute nutrient-rich foods.
A healthy snack includes at least two foods from the MyPlate food groups grains, vegetables, protein, fruit or dairy. Combine peanut butter and banana and you offer your body manganese, folate, protein, niacin, vitamin C, fiber and potassium. Those nutrients are important for healthy eyes and strong muscles, an increased feeling of fullness and heart health.
Combine Greek yogurt and blueberries to get vitamin A, calcium, protein, vitamin C, manganese and fiber. These nutrients are important for healthy eyes, hair, nails, skin, strong bones and heart health, and are rich in disease-fighting antioxidants.
Combine hummus and baby carrots for the nutrients of manganese; folate; fiber; protein; copper; phosphorus; iron; vitamins A, K and C; potassium; and magnesium. These nutrients support healthy digestion and an increased feeling of fullness and are important for healthy vision.
Pistachios and an apple offer your body the nutrients of phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B6, fiber, protein and vitamin C. These nutrients give an increased feeling of fullness, have cancer-fighting properties and are heart-healthy.
A snack of low-fat cottage cheese with red peppers gives your body vitamins A, C, K and B6, as well as protein, calcium and fiber. Those nutrients are important for strong muscles and bone health and important for healthy vision.
Here are some healthy snack options, which include a protein, fat and /or fiber food with a carbohydrate food:
* cup nuts, such as pistachios, and a piece of fruit.
* 2 sheets of graham crackers with natural peanut butter or almond butter.
* 4-5 whole grain crackers with peanut butter, sprinkle with milled flax seed.
* 1 slice whole grain bread with peanut butter.
* Popcorn trail mix: 1 cup light popcorn mixed with cup nuts and 2 tablespoons raisins.
* Cereal mix: cup nuts, 2 tablespoons dried fruit, 1 tablespoon chocolate pieces and cup whole grain cereal.
* Low-fat yogurt with 2-3 tablespoons chopped nuts.
* Hummus with cut vegetables or whole wheat pita bread.
* Sliced apple or banana with peanut butter.
* Peanut butter smoothie: Blend 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt, one banana and 1 tablespoon peanut butter.
* Fruit smoothie: Blend 6 ounces low-fat vanilla yogurt, cup skim milk, 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries).
* Fresh fruit or vegetables with cup low-fat cottage cheese.
* 13 baked corn chips with black bean corn salsa.
* A hard-boiled egg with a piece of whole grain toast.
* Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins or dried cranberries.
* Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
* Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal or granola.
* Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
* Spread vanilla Greek yogurt over a graham cracker and top with cut fruit.
* In a bowl, combine All-Bran wheat crackers, Cheerios, animal crackers, honey bear-shaped crackers, shredded wheat cereal, raisins and M&Ms.
(Adapted from the Food, Nutrition and Health Tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
10 Tips To Break Through Your Fat Loss Plateau | Muscle & Fitness
Oftentimes, all you are a few simple tweaks and you'll be back on track, shedding fat, and getting your six pack. Get back to the basics and jump-start your fat loss this season with our ten tips, all of which are guaranteed to work. Within a few … http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/10-tips-break-through-your-fat-loss-plateau
How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely – WebMD – Exercise, Counting …
Click here for reuse options!
Dansinger recommends eating a diet that minimizes starches, added sugars, and animal fat from meat and dairy foods. For rapid weight loss, he recommends focusing on fruits, veggies, egg whites, soy products, skinless poultry breasts, fish, … http://www.webmd.com/diet/lose-weight-fast-how-to-do-it-safely
Copyright 2015 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'Healthy Snacks For Weight Loss'.