A synthetic nasal formulation of the hormone oxytocin reduced caloric intake in healthy men, particularly consumption of fatty foods, after a single treatment, a new study finds. The results, to be presented Sunday at The Endocrine Society’s 97th annual meeting in San Diego, confirm those of animal studies showing oxytocin reduces food intake.
Oxytocin nasal spray reportedly lowered the number of calories men consumed at a subsequent breakfast whether they were normal weight or overweight. In addition, the researchers found that oxytocin improved metabolic measures, such as insulin sensitivity, which is the body’s ability to successfully clear glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream.
“Our results are really exciting,” said lead investigator Elizabeth Lawson, MD, MMSc, assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston. “Further study is needed, but I think oxytocin is a promising treatment for obesity and its metabolic complications.”
The oxytocin nasal spray (made by Novartis) is approved in Europe but not in the U.S. other than in clinical trials. Oxytocin is available in the U.S. as an intravenous or injectable drug (Pitocin) to induce labor.
Lawson and her colleagues enrolled 25 healthy men into the study, which received funding from the National Institutes of Health and a Massachusetts General Hospital Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award (to Lawson). The participants had an average age of 27. Thirteen of the men had a healthy weight, and the other 12 were overweight or obese. The men were randomly assigned to self-administer a single dose (24 International Units, or IU) of either oxytocin nasal spray or a placebo (dummy drug) after fasting. All were unaware which treatment they received.
One hour later, the men received breakfast, which they picked out from a menu. Each meal contained double portions. After the meal, the researchers measured how many calories each man ate.
In a separate visit, the men repeated the experiment but received the opposite treatment (placebo or oxytocin) from the first visit. According to the investigators, there was no difference in how much food the men reported eating in the three days before each experiment.
On average, the men ate 122 fewer calories and 9 grams less fat at the meal after they received oxytocin nasal spray compared with placebo, the study data showed. Oxytocin also reportedly increased the use of body fat as a fuel for energy. There were no serious side effects and no difference in side effects between oxytocin and placebo, according to Lawson.
Oxytocin had no effect on self-reported appetite or on appetite-regulating hormones measured in their blood, the researchers discovered. Therefore, how oxytocin affected caloric intake is unclear, Lawson said. In preclinical studies, oxytocin was involved in appetite-reducing pathways in the brain.
Because oxytocin has sex-specific effects, it needs to be studied in women, as well as in both sexes for an extended treatment duration, she said.
Muskeln ohne Anabolika ??? http://der-muskelmacher.de Muskelmacher Shop ??? http://www.muskelmacher-shop.de Facebook ??? https://www.facebook.com/muskelmache…
Video Rating: 4 / 5
Original Archive Photo from the Chicago Tribune archive, originally filed under Bodybuilders. Approximate size is 7 x 10 inches. Photographer was not captured. Comes with a serialized Certificate of Authenticity.
List Price: $ 14.99
Price: $ 14.99
This is a review of VINTAGE BUILD Post Workout BCAA, Creatine, L-Glutamine - The Essential 3-in-1 Muscle Building Recovery Powder for Men and Women (Fresh Berries), 330 Grams, 30 Servings. Enjoy!
- BUILD LEAN MUSCLE: As featured in Los Angeles Confidential Magazine. If you're looking for the best post-workout recovery drink made of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine and L-glutamine, you've found it! Vintage Build is the essential 3-in-1 natural muscle building supplement. Its unique formula delivers a proven trio of muscle building ingredients in the form of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine, and L-glutamine in a flavored powder that mixes easily and tastes great with wa
- TESTED AND TRUSTED: Third-party tested post workout supplement made exclusively with premium ingredients, including branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine monohydrate, and L-glutamine. Suitable for men and women looking for lean muscle building power, not bulk or a weight gainer. Vintage Build is a great supplement to your pre-workout and a healthy diet.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 15% OFF any 3 products with code "BUNDLE3X" or 20% OFF any 5 products with code "BUNDLE5X"
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
Vintage Build is a muscle-builder formulated to add muscle, not bulk. Its ingredients are delivered in a great-tasting flavored powder that easily mixes with water or your protein shake
WHAT DOES VINTAGE BUILD DO?
Builds Muscle, Not Bulk: Vintage Build delivers an uncompromisingly dosed, safe and highly effective mixture of 3 essential muscle building ingredients: Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA), Creatine Monohydrate, and L-Glutamine. This no-nonsense combination has been proven to work and is what gives Vintage Build its designation as a Triple Crown muscle builder.
Improves Strength & Recovery: Vintage Build improves strength and speeds up recovery. When combined, these benefits allow you to pe Click toRead the original review here...
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'Oxytocin nasal spray causes men to eat fewer calories'.