One of my favorite client exercises has nothing to do with weights or a cardio sweat session. In fact, it is more of a mental exercise--setting a goal. Most of us can throw together some mean workout routines and offer great nutrition advice, but how effective will those tools really be if our clients don't have a goal in mind?
Although goal setting may seem simple, it is actually quite complex. After all, why do people fail at their New Year's resolutions an average of six times? Unrealistic goals. It is easy to set our clients--and ourselves--up for failure if we are not realistic with goals. Here are four key steps for helping our clients make and stick to their goals.
1. Motivational Interviewing: Common client goals include losing weight, eating healthier and getting stronger. These are a start, but it's worth taking some time to find out what motivates your clients. Why do they want to lose the weight, eat healthier or get stronger? What makes them feel empowered and in control? What do they enjoy eating or doing for exercise? It is a lot easier to stick to a workout regimen that includes bike riding if a person loves bike riding. And it is a lot harder to stick to a meal plan that includes salmon if the person hates fish. The bottom line: Find out what makes your clients feel great and use that to help devise the plans for achieving their goals.
2. Process vs. Outcome Goals: There are two different types of goals: process-oriented and outcome-oriented. Process-oriented goals focus on the "journey," whereas outcome-oriented goals focus on the "finish line." It is best to strike a balance between both types when setting goals, especially if a client is hyper-focused on the outcome goal. Consider, for example, the client who wants to lose 20 pounds. He is so focused on the scale that if it doesn't move in a week, he wants to throw in the towel. The key here is to pair the outcome goal with a process-oriented goal. In this case, perhaps it is to eat vegetables at lunch and dinner five days a week. So even though the scale didn't move one week, his nutrition improved. The key is to focus on the positive.
On the other side of the coin, if a client only has a process goal of working out six days a week and no end goal, she may lose motivation to continue with her process goal. This isn't to say outcome goals are required, but they often do a great job of keeping people motivated.
3. SMART Goals: One of the most applicable tools for setting goals is applying the acronym, S.M.A.
Bring a bit of backyard fun into your workout with Hoopnotica. Celebs like Beyonc? and Oliva Wilde love this Hula-Hoop workout that burns calories while whit…
Video Rating: 4 / 5
- Used to improve posture and in weight lifting exercises to increase core strength
- Easy to integrate into almost any training regimen. Great for use at the gym, in yoga, or in your living room.
- Used to promote labor progress specifically in epidural birth
- To inflate the peanut ball to its full size, pump the ball with included hand pump. Add more air after 12 hours until it is fully expanded.
- Anti-burst rubber compound prevents the ball from violently bursting if punctured.
What size ball should I get my child? Measure from the tip of your child's fingers to his armpit. Ch Read the original review here...
Sturdy rubber ball comes with rope hand that’s easy to grip, fetch, tug and toss. Best suited for large breed dogs. A PetSmartA,A exclusive. Provides hours of entertainment and exercise for your dog Dog toys are designed for you and your pet to play together Warning: Ingestion of this product can result in serious injury. Advice for Use: Monitor your pet’s behavior for suitability. Some toys may not be appropriate for your dog. Remove or replace item if damage occurs. Available in Red or Blue. Please allow us to choose a color for you.
Price: $ 24.99
Sold by PetSmart
Click here for reuse options!
Featuring CapsimaxTM Plus, Capsicum Extract as seen on a popular daytime TV show!Being active is a critical part of keeping our bodies healthy and strong. Rebody’s PRE3MAX are pre workout supplements that can help you get the most out of your workouts. Exercising is not only great to burn excess calories, but also helps to boost your cardiovascular health, build stronger muscles, can be a great way of relieving stress and also helps to boost your energy and mood.Supports improved endurance and performance*May burn up to 278 more calories, before, during and after exercise*Power your workouts and sporting activities*Increase performance by 23.9%*Burn 12x more calories for up to an hour after exercise* Reduce fatigue, oxidative stress and muscle damage*Supports healthy metabolism*No harsh stimulants*The science backed ingredients in our PRE3MAX Pre-Workout Supplement formula take center stage in the pre-workout supplement ingredient category. We have blended the best of the best to create the ultimate in exercise optimization. Our three main clinically tested powerhouse ingredients in this supplement are as follows:The first star ingredient is Powergrape(R), a patented, highly specialized composition obtained from select Bordeaux varieties of red grapes. This powerhouse is clinically shown to support cellular oxygenation, protect muscles against exercise-induced oxidative damage, boost energy for enhanced performance and speed recovery after strenuous activity. *Next up is the coveted CapsiMaxTM Plus Blend. This proprietary blend containing capsimax capsicum extract, caffeine, piperine (black pepper extract) and niacin increases your metabolic rate to enable you to burn more calories during your workout. Sounds pretty good, right?In a human study, those who took the Capsimax Plus Blend one hour prior to exercising experienced the following results: Burned three times more calories before their workoutBurned 3% more calories during their workout Burned 12 times more calories for up to an hour after exercisesLast, but definitely not least is the one of its kind ingredient RhodiolifeTM. This Siberian Rhodiola Rosea Extract is an authentic, non-Chinese standardized extract sourced from the Altai Mountains of Siberia. This is not your average Rhodioa Rosea Extract! Only our Rhodiolife’s unique composition consistently provides the spectrum of nutrients found in the root of the plant that is responsible for its biological activity. Several human studies confirm its ability to provide long lasting stamina, endurance, fight fatigue and reduce stress.* Standardized extracts of Rhodiola rosea have been used by Russian Olympic champions and other Russian sports professionals for decades with very consistent and satisfactory results.Put PRE3MAX to the test during your next workout, or the next time you are competing in the Olympics, so you get the most out of your workout and closer to your fitness goals. Supplement FactsServing Size: 2 vcapsulesServings per Container: 30Directions for Use: It is recommended to take 2 capsules 30 – 60 minutes before your workout. Amount per Serving% Daily Value PowerGrape 90% grape extract (provides a min. of 90% total polyphenols, min. of 50% total flavanols, 12% flavanol monomers) 400mg * Capsimax capsicum annum fruit extract, black pepper fruit extract (standardized to 95% piperine) 100mg * RhodioLife rhodiola rosea root extract (standardized to 3% rosavins, 1.8% rosavin) 200mg ** Daily value not establishedThese statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.Other IngredientsVegetable cellulose, rice bran, silica, vegetable oil.
List Price: $ 39.97
Price: $ 9.99
Copyright 2014 HealthNutFitness