Fatigue and pain, along with other symtoms, prevent many people with multiple sclerosis (MS) from exercising. But a new how-to guide for a home-based exercise program, tested by researchers at Case Western Reserve University’s nursing school and the Lerner Research Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, offers a way for people with MS to stay more physically active.
The researchers developed a 24-week exercise program based on a series of pamphlets with varying levels of difficulty. The program helps inactive individuals start at a lower, shorter level of activity and gradually build to longer, more difficult exercise routines.
“The printed pamphlets have shown promise in helping people with multiple sclerosis engage in exercise and offset the disabling effects of multiple sclerosis,” said Matthew Plow, assistant professor at Case Western Reserve’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing and an exercise trainer for people with MS.
MS is thought to be caused by an abnormal immune response that attacks the central nervous system. An estimated 2.3 million people worldwide suffer from MS symptoms, which can vary from person to person, according to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Along with pain and fatigue, other symptoms of MS include numbness and tingling, weakness, dizziness, feelings of stiffness, vision problems and walking difficulties.
But physical activity (PA) may help counter the debilitating physical symptoms and delay cognitive impairment associated with the autoimmune disease.
Plow is lead investigator on a study that tested a home-based exercise program to help people maintain their ability to balance, walk and use their hands and arms.
A series of pamphlets is designed to meet the individual’s starting exercise level and unique symptom profile. The program was adapted from a distance-learning intervention designed by one of the study’s researchers, Bess Marcus, from the Department of Family and Preventative Medicine at the University of California at San Diego.
Marcus’ work focused on increasing the motivation to exercise and taking people through the five stages of readiness to exercise and change behavior: pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action and maintenance of an exercise program.
Researchers recruited 30 women with doctor-confirmed diagnoses of relapsing-remitting MS to test the new exercise program.
The women suffered similar symptoms of fatigue and pain and also lacked the time or motivation to use a gym or take exercise classes. Each received instructions for exercise to do at home or in the neighborhood to increase their physical activity.
Participants started with the pamphlet that matched their PA levels. The step-by-step instructions helped participants establish an exercise routine that consists of aerobics balance exercises and strength training.
Researchers called the participants every three weeks with questions about the women’s PA habits and barriers that may have prevented them from exercising. The participants also were interviewed and underwent a physical assessment at 24 weeks to track changes. Results from the pilot study indicate the program shows promise
Download the HASfit Interactive Trainer App Now! Android http://goo.gl/q1rpi0 — iPhone http://goo.gl/6N3gfS Don’t skip leg day! Follow Coach Kozak through this 20 minute home leg workout….
Video Rating: 5 / 5
- WHY CHOOSE THE ARCHER EXERCISER OVER OTHERS? - Similar looking hand exercisers offer both HEAVY and LIGHT tension. The HEAVY tension hand exercisers, when set at the lowest resistance women and senior citizens will find it too difficult to squeeze. Most men will rarely use it at high tension. The handles of LIGHT TENSION exercisers will not narrow which prevents the advanced finger and thumb exercises from being performed.
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE - The Archer hand exerciser's resistance starts 11 lbs. for thumb and finger exercises, and is perfect for seniors, women and those needing finger and hand therapy. NOT TO WORRY, when adjusting the spring to 44 lbs. most men will get a great hand and forearm workout.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - The ergonomic design also allows The hand exerciser to provide effective finger, hand, wrist, and forearm workouts. It will provide finger and hand strength to those with hand and finger arthritis, massage therapists, musicians, such as guitar, piano, and violin players, golfers, tennis and baseball players, and anyone wanting a general hand grip exerciser to build grip strength.
- UNIQUE ADJUSTABLE HANDLES - The main feature that sets the Archer hand exerciser apart from other hand grippers that look similar is that as the resistance is decreased the handles become narrow. This is why 6 different finger, thumb, and hand exercises can be performed AND, both men and women can benefit from it. Search Amazon for "thumb exerciser" and you will see based on the prices that the Archer exerciser will actually save you money because the Archer exerciser provides several exercises.
- ROBUST SPRING WILL NOT BREAK - If you have read the 1 and 2 star Amazon reviews of other hand exercisers, rest assured, our hand exerciser was engineered using top quality materials involving a very sturdy spring - It Will Not Break! It is made for long-term and frequent use. The Archer Hand Exerciser is fulfilled by Amazon and backed with a Hassle-Free Money Back 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. We assume all the risk - There is no risk to you. ORDER YOUR HAND EXERCISER TODAY.
helps relieve trigger finger, trigger thumb, and Carpal Tunnel symptoms. Low
tension improves hand grip strength for seniors and helps loosen stiff little
fingers. Advanced users will benefit from the more difficult finger exercises. The Archer Hand Grip offers fantastic forearm workouts! The high tension
level adjusts for athletes to build rock climbing hand and forearm strength and
builds grip strength for improved baseball and golf swing speed. Hand exercise tool offers custom exercises to improve finger strength andRead the rest of the review here...
Dietary Supplement Diet Metabolism Booster* Powerful Fat Burning* 2 Fast-Acting Liquid Soft-Softgels 3 Green Tea, Plus White Tea, Oolong Tea, Matcha Tea, Ginseng, Brown Kelp More Tea has been consumed for thousands of years and is prized for its many health-promoting properties* Recent scientific research has revealed powerful nutritional compounds in tea leaves that support healthy management* Green Tea Calorie Burner* is a blend of four distinct varieties of tea plus some of the most highly-revered botanicals from the East. While not literally melting fat off the body, the combined EGCG content of the tea extracts, along with natural caffeine, has been researched to promote thermogenesis and fatty oxidation * When used with a reduced calorie diet and exercise, this product can help you achieve your weight loss goals* Well Roots is a premium line of Liquid Soft-Gel pr
Price: $ 19.99
Sold by drugstore.com
Copyright 2014 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'How-to exercise pamphlet for people with MS developed'.