As obesity rates rise, health professionals and policy makers scramble to help consumers resist unhealthy eating choices, often focusing on better labeling and improved nutritional knowledge. According to a new study in the Journal of Marketing Research, however, training people to pay attention to their emotions is a far more powerful strategy.
“Consumers are often mindless,” write authors Blair Kidwell (Ohio State University), Jonathan Hasford (Florida International University) and David M. Hardesty (University of Kentucky). “We not only demonstrate that emotional ability is trainable and that food choices can be enhanced, but also that emotional ability training improves food choices beyond a nutrition knowledge training program.”
Study participants were given general training in recognizing basic emotions in themselves and in others, after which they were exposed to a variety of food products and packaging and asked to notice what emotions they, and others, were experiencing. After the training, both the trained participants and people who had received no training were given the opportunity to choose a snack of either a healthy item or a chocolate bar. Those who had received the training were more likely to choose the healthy item.
Three months later participants in both groups were weighed: Those who had received training in recognizing their emotions had, on average, lost weight whereas those who had received no training had actually put on weight.
The authors conclude by urging consumer educational programs to put less focus on reading nutritional labels and to instead encourage exercises that enhance emotional awareness.
“With a better understanding of how they feel and how to use emotions to make better decisions, people will not only eat better, they will also likely be happier and healthier because they relate better to others and are more concerned with their overall well-being.”
Ready to dance the calories away? Then kick it with LA choreographer Ryan Heffington, owner of the Sweat Spot dance studio. This 30-minute workout feels like…
Video Rating: 4 / 5
Dietary Supplement Ultra-High Energy Neon Sport Volt is an electrifying combination of energy, pump, and focus ingredients* Volt combines premier pump ingredients such as Citrulline and Agmatine Sulfate with the strongest stimulant and nootropic complex available, to hit each and every one of your workouts with a bolt of lightning*
Price: $ 39.99
Sold by drugstore.com
With The North Face Quantum Crew Long Sleeve Workout Shirt for men you can push yourself further without distractions. Reinforced seams and durable lightweight fabrics combine for comfort and performance. Contrast logo Reinforced bonded seams Flat-locked stitching throughout Athletic detailing Highlights: FlashDry-XD Center Back : 28.5″ Fabric : 145 g/m2 100% polyester knit jersey with FlashDry-XD(TM) Size L Color RageRed
List Price: $ 54.95
Price: $ 54.95
This is a review of Ultimate Endurance - Powerful Aerobic and Energy Booster - Increases Circulation - Buffers Lactic Acid - All-Natural and Caffeine-Free. It's our pleasure to present this.
- ? WHAT MAKES THIS FORMULA SO EFFECTIVE? => 3 Tier Approach To Superior and Effective Workouts Using Only the Healthiest Natural Ingredients With Nothing Artificial Or Harmful.
- ? TARGET 1: HEALTHY ENERGY => Yerba Mate, Ginseng, and B12 Naturally Support the Adrenal Glands Providing Nourishing, Healthy, and Effective Crash- Free Energy.
- ? TARGET 2: DECREASED MUSCULAR SORENESS AND FATIGUE => Beta Alanine Reduces Lactic Acid Production Decreasing Muscle Soreness and Fatigue.
- ? TARGET 3: INCREASED MUSCULAR CIRCULATION => Citrulline is a Critical Amino Acid Boosting the Body's Nitric Oxide Production Enhancing Circulation to the Muscles Delaying Fatigue and Soreness Allowing for Better Workouts and the Ability to Push Yourself Longer and Harder, Whether at Work or in the Gym.
- ? WHO TAKES ULTIMATE ENDURANCE? => CrossFit Athletes Competing in the California World Games, World Champion Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Athletes, Professional UFC MMA Fighters, Olympic Athletes, Cyclists, Runners, Rock Climbers, Vegan Athletes, Along with Hard Working People Looking to Get a Healthy Edge. **FREE BONUS** Ebook Written by Dr. Stern *Blueprint to Optimal Health*
o Improved Strength and Stamina toward the Read the full review here...
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'How do you really feel about the cake? Emotional awareness promotes healthier eating'.