Walking workstations can improve not only physical, but also mental health during the workday, a new study released this week found. The research was conducted by faculty and student researchers from the Department of Psychology in the School of Science at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI).
With growing concerns regarding obesity in the United States, Michael Sliter, assistant professor of psychology, hopes the study encourages employers to examine methods to assist workers in in healthy living.
“We found that the walking workstations, regardless of a person’s exercise habits or body mass index (BMI), had significant benefits,” Sliter said. “Even if you don’t exercise or if you are overweight, you’ll experience both short-term physical and psychological benefits.”
A sample of 180 participants were evaluated on boredom, task satisfaction, stress, arousal, and performance while completing work-related computer tasks across four randomly assigned workstations: seated, standing, cycling or walking.
The researchers found walking workstation participants had higher satisfaction and arousal, while experiencing less boredom and stress than the standing and sitting workstation participants. In comparison, the cycling workstation related to reduced satisfaction and performance.
The paper “Workout at work: Laboratory Test of Psychological and Performance Outcomes of Active Workstations,” which Sliter wrote entirely while using a walking workstation, appears online in the American Psychological Association’s Journal of Occupational Health Psychology and in the January 2015 print edition.
Sliter plans to continue exploring the psychological benefits of walking workstations in future studies. Particularly, he is interested in examining long-term psychological and physical benefits of such workstations.
The above story is based on materials provided by Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis School of Science. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.
SuperBrain Yoga 1-Minute Exercise Daily for Memory and Brain Power. Just do 14 times once a day and you are on the road to a clear mind and better memory. Su…
Video Rating: 4 / 5
Dietary Supplement CoQ-10 Has Been Clinically Shown to Promote a Healthy Heart* br Natrol CoQ-10 is a natural antioxidant essential for cells to work efficiently in the heart and throughout the body. CoQ-10 levels in the human body decrease with age, making it harder to convert fats and sugars into energy. CoQ-10 is complementary with strain drugs and as such can be used as part of a daily regimen* This product is to be used in conjunction with a healthy calorie reduction and exercise program. No yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, added sugar, starch or preservatives. 1-800-2-NATROL *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- 5 DIFFERENT RESISTANCE LEVELS: Light, Medium, Heavy, X-Heavy and XX-Heavy for strengthening upper and lowerl body parts. No more additional bands to purchase as your strength increases, just switch to one of the included higher resistance bands. Great for all types of home workouts for, strength training, endurance, stretching and physical therapy rehabilitation exercises.
- CUSTOM SIZE 12" LOOP BANDS -- These Exercise Bands will allow you to achieve your desired results SOONER with Flex Active Sports 5 Premium 100% Natural Latex Bands. These durable loop bands are built for the most intense workouts for years and years. ? ?BONUS: Access to Our Online Workout Videos
- EASY RESISTANCE ADJUSTMENTS: Our mini Loop Bands can be used together at one-time to create multiple levels of resistance. These are GREAT for P90x, Insanity, Crossfit Training, Yoga, Pilates, Beachbody, Physical Therapy, Strengthing, Toning Upper and Lower body. You can also isolate and target glutes, legs, hips & knees.
- USED BY TRAINERS and PHYSICAL THERAPISTS - These custom bands are used as Physical Therapy Bands for Recovery after Torn MCL, Torn ACL, Knee replacement, Isometrics / stabilization exercises, Monster walks, lateral walks, goblet squats, Improving mobility & Meniscus / Patella rehab.
- LIFETIME FREE REPLACEMENT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: All Flex Active Sports Products Come with our customer satisfaction 100% LIFETIME GUARANTEE! No Questions to asked, 100% Money Back Guarantee When You Purchase Today!
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'Walking workstations improve physical, mental health, builds healthier workplace'.