Cambridge nutritionist Amanda Ryder.
GONE are the days of the corset diet and the cotton ball diet where people were reportedly dipping cottons balls in fruit juice and swallowing them to feel full.
For the start of the new year, we asked a slimming consultant, a nutritionist and a fitness trainer their tips for getting in shape in 2014.
Amanda Ryder, Cambridge nutritionist – Top five (well, six) tips for staying healthy in 2014
1. Eat breakfast Ensure you have a substantial breakfast which includes some protein and fat, and aim to eat it within an hour of getting up.
This will help your body to maintain balanced blood sugar levels and thats key in order to reduce your cravings.
And do yourself a big favour and skip the fruit juice – it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels.
2. Get active Find an activity that you enjoy and actually look forward to, such as cycling, dancing, running or yoga and do it twice a week.
Current research suggests sitting for long periods can increase the risk of heart disease, weight gain and diabetes, so if youre office based ensure you get up several times a day and take a walk.
3. Protein Include some with all meals and snacks: think eggs, chicken, fish, pulses, nuts and seeds, approximately the size of your palm.
This will slow down the insulin response and help keep your weight stable.
4. Get into green tea – Replace some of your tea and coffee with green tea. It is rich in polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant that will not only help to keep you healthy this winter but may also slow down the ageing process as may encourage faster metabolism.
Start with two cups a day and experiment by adding fresh mint and a slice of lemon.
5. Cut back on carbohydrates such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, biscuits – and ensure you load your plate up with healthy seasonal vegetables instead.
Make them interesting by stir-frying, sauting, baking in the oven, adding garlic and chilli – whatever works for you.
6. One final tip… Include mushrooms in your diet. They contain powerful compounds called beta glucans which have long been studied for their immune enhancing properties.
Sandra Lackenby, Cambridgeshire Slimming World consultant Top five diet tips for 2014
1. Ditch the guilt Dont let your slimming past hold you back, cut loose from destructive self-doubt and free your mind for success.
2. Eat yourself slim Fill up on fabulous filling foods such as potatoes, pasta, meat, poultry and glorious vegetables.
With Slimming Worlds Food Optimising Extra Easy plan, there are no banned foods and loads of unlimited free foods to fill up on whenever your hungry.
3. Work towards a healthier you Remind yourself of all the great health reasons there are to lose weight.
These include having more energy, easier breathing, better sleep, reduced risk of cancers, more stamina, lower risk of heart disease and of type two diabetes.
4. Slim more in your 24 Max your slimming power all day, every day.
Breeze through breakfast and set yourself up for the day ahead. Enjoy a healthy full English with grilled back bacon with all visible fat removed, or if youre in a hurry, grab some cereal and fruit.
Lunchtime can be a great time to get fit. It doesnt have to involve lycra, take a brisk walk with a colleague, squeeze in a swim or do a session on the Wii in your living room.
Afternoon slumps often leads to cravings for a sugary treat. Reach for something like a fat free toffee yogurt and a banana, or try a new pick-me-up habit such as a big mug of fruit tea.
Take control of tea time by planning ahead and keeping your fridge stocked with dive-right-in foods to protect you from eating high calorie foods.
If youre a nocturnal nibbler then snack smarter. Enjoy sofa nibbles such as cold lean meats. Even a glass of wine is fine, just keep an eye on those goldfish bowl-sized ones.
5. Join your local Slimming World group! Search for your nearest group by inputting your postcode at slimmingworld.com.
Garry Kerr, head of training and operations at British Military Fitness, which runs fitness classes at Coldhams Common in Cambridge Top five tips on getting fit in the New Year
1. Keep a fitness journal A workout log can help keep your exercise routine on track when youre struggling to stay motivated.
2. Commit yourself There is no time like the start of a New Year. Why not write all the classes you can attend in your diary so they are viewed as actual appointments and youre less likely to cancel. 3. Use visualisation If you dont believe that you can do those final reps, you certainly wont be able to, but by picturing yourself doing it before you try, youll create a mental template that can translate into success.
4. Eating right Food is 90% of the health and fitness battle. You can make great changes just through making small adjustments to your eating habits alone. By eating a regular mix of proteins, fats and carbohydrates you will reap the benefits of your physical training routine.
5. Be realistic Rome wasnt built in a day. Unfortunately, while over-used, there is some truth in that saying. A healthy approach is to aim to improve on yesterday. By repeating this process you will start to feel like you have made great improvements over a course of weeks, months and years.
The Zone Tone Breakthrough: Unleashing The Mind Muscle Connection For Accelerated Fat Loss, Lean Muscle, and Elite Conditioning (Kindle Edition) tagged “fitness tips” 7 times
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 01:24:52 GMT The Zone Tone Breakthrough: Unleashing The Mind Muscle Connection For Accelerated Fat Loss, Lean Muscle, and Elite Conditioning (Kindle Edition)By James Villepigue Buy new: $6.99 Customer tags: health(7), exercise(7), fitness(7), fitness tips(7), get in shape(7), bodybuilding(7), athletics(7), fat loss(6), muscle gain(6), build muscle(6), sports psychology(3), mind to muscle(3) http://www.amazon.com/The-Zone-Tone-Breakthrough-Conditioning-ebook/dp/B00A6K4HFS/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Easy Fitness Tips Volume 2 (Kindle Edition) tagged “fitness tips” 5 times
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:56:15 GMT Easy Fitness Tips Volume 2 (Kindle Edition)By Lisa Jeffreys Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: fitness tips(5), exercise tips(4), fitness(4), exercise program(3), female fitness(3), easy recipes(3), exercise and fitness(3), fitness and diet(3), gym working out, health tips http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fitness-Tips-Volume-2-ebook/dp/B0087QFRES/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
50 Must-Know Fitness Tips to Score Your Best Body – Shape
Follow these fitness, health, weight loss, and healthy eating tips, and you'll build your best body ever! Bring on the bikini! http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/50-must-know-fitness-tips-score-your-best-body
6 Fitness Tips to 'Battle the Holiday Bloat' – Around Town – Aberdeen …
Get some expert advice for staying fit during the busy holiday season. http://aberdeen.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/6-fitness-tips-to-battle-the-holiday-bloat_07253a38