A survey recently conducted online by professional coaching network Life Coach Directory, has revealed that the most common reason for a client to seek health coaching is for weight loss.*
Camberley, Surrey (PRWEB UK) 9 October 2012
Column inches are frequently dominated by stories of the nations ever expanding waistline and have been for some years. Of course, we all know that being overweight is unhealthy, that excess weight carries a myriad of health risks, but still a significant proportion of us weigh far more than what is considered healthy. But why?
Overcoming unhealthy eating habits that have manifested over a lifetime is sadly not a simple case of eating less and exercising more. Half the battle is finding the motivation to begin, and the other half is keeping the progress going.
During the past decade the fad diet concept exploded, with many individuals seeing them as the answer to their weight woes. Think cabbage soup, fasting, low-carb and low-calorie fad diets such as these pledge to make you lose weight fast but in the main dont produce sustainable results.
We should know by now that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is, and any diet that promises a quick and effortless route to losing weight should set alarm bells ringing. There is no magic pill, and there is certainly no easy way.
Fad diets are often extreme, sometimes demanding avoiding entire food groups or surviving on only liquids. Whilst these radical rules might be fine for short bursts of time, they cannot be maintained on a long-term basis and could even lead to illness.
So if dieting is not the answer to long-term weight loss, what is?
Weight loss and a healthy lifestyle should always be a learning experience, and you she be able to walk away feeling confident and motivated that you can continue and sustain your progress independently. Weight loss isnt simply about changing what you eat; it is about changing your approach and attitude towards food.
It is for this reason that many individuals seek health coaching.
Health coaches aim to help individuals find the motivation needed to stick to their diet, even after the initial drive begins to fizzle out. It is not about trying fad diets or exploring the emotional relationship we have with food it is about introducing structure and attainable goals to motivate and prevent old habits from raising their heads.
Professional Life Coach Midgie Thompson is no stranger to providing motivational coaching, and has been doing so since she founded her Bright Futures Coaching business back in 2003. Since then, Brighton based Midgie has coached a variety of individuals ranging from professional athletes through to Managing Directors, and below she gives us her top tips for staying motivated when either trying to lose weight or when embarking on other health goals independently:
1. Set clear goals and make a plan to achieve them
- Clarify what it is you want to achieve and include detail of the outcome. Then work out, in small incremental steps, how you will achieve that goal.
2. Go after only compelling goals
- How important it is for you to achieve your goal? What difference will it make if you achieve, or dont achieve, that goal? What benefits will you gain?
3. Identify specific times for exercise
- Plan in advance when you are going to do your exercise and put them in the diary just like any other appointment or meeting.
4. Create clear boundaries for flexibility
- Identify how important your goal is to you and create clear boundaries of where and when you will, or will not, be flexible with occasionally re-arranging things.
5. Strengthen your self-belief and confidence
- Develop a strong belief that you will be able to achieve your goal and can face any challenge positively and successfully by taking small incremental steps.
6. Maintain your focus to keep you on track
- Regularly remind yourself of your goal and the reasons why you are pursuing that goal to help you stay focussed and disciplined to do what you need to do.
7. Manage your inner chatter to support you
- Silence the internal critic and negative chatter by replacing it with positive supportive comments and thoughts. Compare you with you, not against others.
- Give yourself a pat on the back and recognise your achievements along the way!
If you are struggling to find the motivation needed to overcome an obstacle, whether it be your weight or any other issue a life coach could provide the additional support you need.
A life coach specialising in healthy lifestyle and motivation coaching is not there to give you advice or tell you what to do, but instead will help you to develop a structure that will help you to achieve your own goals.
With an extensive library of fact-sheets – including information about health coaching, motivation and personal development – Life Coach Directory provides all of the information needed to help you fulfil your health objectives.
About Lifecoach Directory
Having access to all of the information needed to find the right life coach is a vital step for those who are looking for additional support. Whilst other directories may supply contact details, Life Coach Directory goes further by providing clear details of the help offered by each life coach.
Life Coach Directory lists full profiles of each coach, their specialisms, fees, background information and qualification details. There is also a wealth of information about life coaching on the website so visitors can find the information they need before choosing a professional.
*Based on a survey carried out on Life Coach Directory between August and October 2012.
Emma Hilton Memiah Limited 01276 301230 Email Information
- ^ health coaching (www.lifecoach-directory.org.uk)
- ^ motivation (www.lifecoach-directory.org.uk)
- ^ healthy lifestyle (www.lifecoach-directory.org.uk)
- ^ Email Information (www.prweb.com)
Natural Weight Loss Secrets REVEALED: How To Lose Weight Naturally (Paperback) tagged “weight loss tips” 95 times
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:29:04 GMT Natural Weight Loss Secrets REVEALED: How To Lose Weight Naturally (Paperback)By D K Evans Click for more info Customer Rating: Customer tags: natural weight loss(97), weight loss(96), weight loss tips(95), healthy living(6), natural remedies(5), how to lose weight(5), d k evans(3), diet reviews(3), terri bork http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Weight-Loss-Secrets-REVEALED/dp/1453630325/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
Weight Off (Kindle Edition) tagged “weight loss tips” 74 times
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:56:20 GMT Weight Off (Kindle Edition)By Linda Corby Buy new: $2.9984 used and new from $2.95 Customer Rating: Customer tags: weight control(124), weight(123), fat loss(121), fat free(118), obesity loss(117), weight loss(116), weight loss help(116), healthy weight loss(115), my weight loss(113), how i lost weight(113), weight loss tips(74), weight management(72) http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Off-ebook/dp/B004FV540G/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&creative=381421&tag=thedays-20
F/U Seasonal Vegetable Request and Weight Loss…
A couple of weeks ago, I asked for recommendations for vegetables to eat to vary my diet a bit as I switched from a mostly-fruit to a mostly-vegetable diet on my doctor's recommendation after I complained that I wasn't losing weight on my calorie- restricted diet. After a … http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1447169,1447169
Tips From Successful Ppl W/ +100 Lb Weight Loss – LapBandTalk.com
Tips From Successful Ppl W/ +100 Lb Weight Loss – posted in 100 Lbs+: I'd lovve to hear tips: fills, diet, exercise, protein, calories, getting ur Dr to fill bc There's no restriction, etc. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/158366-tips-from-successful-ppl-w-100-lb-weight-loss/