Maybe you’ve had sand kicked in your face. Maybe you’ve lost one too many attainable women to beefier guys. Or maybe you’ve read so much about weight loss that actually admitting you want to gain weight is a societal taboo. Whatever the reason, you want to bulk up. Now.
But forget about your alleged high-revving metabolism, says Doug Kalman, R.D., director of nutrition at Miami Research Associates.
“Most lean men who can’t gain muscle weight are simply eating and exercising the wrong way,” he says.
Here’s your fix: Follow these 10 principles to pack on as much as a pound of muscle each week.
1. Maximize muscle building. The more protein your body storesin a process called protein synthesisthe larger your muscles grow. But your body is constantly draining its protein reserves for other usesmaking hormones, for instance. The result is less protein available for muscle building.
To counteract that, you need to “build and store new proteins faster than your body breaks down old proteins,” says Michael Houston, a professor of nutrition at Virginia Tech University.
As for when to eat it and what kind you need?
2. Eat meat. Shoot for about one gram of protein per pound of body weight, which is roughly the maximum amount your body can use in a day, according to a landmark study in the Journal of Applied Physiology. (For example, a 160-pound man should consume 160 grams of protein a daythe amount he’d get from an eight-ounce chicken breast, one cup of cottage cheese, a roast-beef sandwich, two eggs, a glass of milk, and two ounces of peanuts.) Split the rest of your daily calories equally between carbohydrates and fats.
Discover The Truth about Protein.
3. Eat more. In addition to adequate protein, you need more calories. Use the following formula to calculate the number you need to take in daily to gain 1 pound a week. (Give yourself two weeks for results to show up on the bathroom scale. If you haven’t gained by then, increase your calories by 500 a day).
A. Your weight in pounds: _____
B. Multiply A by 12 to get your basic calorie needs: _____
C. Multiply B by 1.6 to estimate your resting metabolic rate (calorie burn without factoring in exercise)_____
D. Strength training: Multiply the number of minutes you lift weights per week by 5: _____
E. Aerobic training: Multiply the number of minutes per week that you run, cycle, and play sports by 8: _____
F. Add D and E, and divide by 7: _____
G. Add C and F to get your daily calorie needs: _____
H. Add 500 to G: _____. This is your estimated daily calorie needs to gain 1 pound a week.
4. Work your biggest muscles. If you’re a beginner, just about any workout will be intense enough to increase protein synthesis. But if you’ve been lifting for a while, you’ll build the most muscle quickest if you focus on the large muscle groups, like the chest, back, and legs. Add squats, deadlifts, pullups, bent-over rows, bench presses, dips, and military presses to your workout. Do two or three sets of eight to 12 repetitions, with about 60 seconds’ rest between sets.
Learn How Liam Hemsworth Got Ripped for The Expendables 2.
5. But first, have a stiff drink. A 2001 study at the University of Texas found that lifters who drank a shake containing amino acids and carbohydrates before working out increased their protein synthesis more than lifters who drank the same shake after exercising. The shake contained six grams of essential amino acidsthe muscle-building blocks of proteinand 35 grams of carbohydrates.
“Since exercise increases bloodflow to your working tissues, drinking a carbohydrate-protein mixture before your workout may lead to greater uptake of the amino acids in your muscles,” says Kevin Tipton, an exercise and nutrition researcher at the University of Texas in Galveston.
For your shake, you’ll need about 10 to 20 grams of proteinusually about one scoop of a whey-protein powder. Can’t stomach protein drinks? You can get the same nutrients from a sandwich made with four ounces of deli turkey and a slice of American cheese on whole wheat bread. But a drink is better.
“Liquid meals are absorbed faster,” says Kalman. So tough it out. Drink one 30 to 60 minutes before your workout.
6. Lift every other day. Do a full-body workout followed by a day of rest. Studies show that a challenging weight workout increases protein synthesis for up to 48 hours immediately after your exercise session. “Your muscles grow when you’re resting, not when you’re working out,” says Michael Mejia, a certified strength and conditioning specialists, and Men’s Health exercise advisor. Mejia is a former skinny guy who packed on 40 pounds of muscle using this very program.
40 Foods with Superpowers
7. Down the carbs after your workout. Research shows that you’ll rebuild muscle faster on your rest days if you feed your body carbohydrates.
“Post-workout meals with carbs increase your insulin levels,” which, in turn, slows the rate of protein breakdown, says Kalman. Have a banana, a sports drink, or a peanut-butter sandwich.
Click here for all 10 muscle-building tips from Men’s Health.
- ^ Discover The Truth about Protein (www.menshealth.com)
- ^ Learn How Liam Hemsworth Got Ripped for The Expendables 2. (www.menshealth.com)
- ^ 40 Foods with Superpowers (www.menshealth.com)
- ^ Click here for all 10 muscle-building tips from Men’s Health. (www.menshealth.com)
BTM Health Kick: Some Workout Tips from the Stars | BeTrendMe
workout tips from the stars. We at the BeTrendMe office are always amazed at how celebrities stay fit and make it look so easy to maintain such great bodies. But at last, their tips and secrets have been discovered as some of … http://betrendme.com/2012-09-01-btm-health-kick-some-workout-tips-from-the-stars.html
Work Out Tips | Body By Vi Shakes and Challenge Blog
I started a new sectionnot really body by vi specific, but definitely keeping fit specific. Just a dedicated page where I will post any tips, tricks, workout videos, etc that I run across. Hope it helps! Here's the first video I found to shareridiculous … http://bodybyvi-shakes.org/work-tips/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=work-tips
The Writer’s Workout: 366 Tips, Tasks, & Techniques
MEN’S FITNESS MAGAZINES vintage 1992 exercise workout hints tips
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2012 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about '7 Tips For Muscle Building'.