SUNNYVALE, Calif. & NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
A majority (80%) of adults admit to being competitive with 43% claiming to be extremely or very competitive according to a new survey from Fitness Magazine and Yahoo! Shine. The exclusive survey asked 1,000 women and men to examine their competitive nature. The survey found adults compete about their intelligence (51%), work (45%) and hobbies (44%).
The results appear in the July/August issue of Fitness, on stands June 26, and online at Yahoo! Shine, the leading site for womens lifestyle content.
Highlights from the findings are below.
- Fierce Competition Men& women are most likely to compete with:
- What are you most competitive about? The survey found that adults compete most about:
- Intelligence 51%
- Work 45%
- Hobbies 44%
While both men and women are most competitive about their intelligence, women are significantly more competitive over intelligence (53%) than men (44%). Women are also more competitive about athletic ability than men (42% vs. 39%) as well as about work (34% vs. 33%) and money (27% vs. 26%).
- Competing at the gym Over two-thirds (64%) of men and women are likely to compare their performance with the person next to them at the gym. Young men and women, 18-34, are even more likely (70%) to compare their gym performance with others.
- Giving credit, where credit is due Women are three times less likely than men to take credit for a colleagues work. Only 4% of women said they would accept full credit for the job and 89% said they would give a co-worker some or full credit.
- Would you compete with a friend for a job? While 90% of adults would compete with a best friend over a job, men are more aggressive than women, with 20% of men vs. 12% of women admitting they would lobby nonstop for the job. However, women are more likely than men (79% vs. 69%) to pursue the job in a low key way.
- Fighting for love Nearly 40% of adults have competed over a potential romantic partner at some point. More than half of men (nearly 53%) admit to having competed over a potential partner
Watch Fitness Executive Editor Pam OBrien discussing this survey on The Shine on Yahoo!: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/why-women-competitive-232700588.html
Full survey results available by request. Follow Yahoo! Shine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/YahooShine Follow Yahoo! Shine on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/yahooshine Follow Fitness on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/FitnessMagazine Follow Fitness on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/fitnessmag
About the Survey:
Yahoo! partnered with Ipsos MediaCT to conduct the Yahoo! Shine relations survey in February 2012. We interviewed n=1,001 Americans ages 18 to 64 representative of the U.S. online population via an online quantitative survey.
About Fitness magazine
Launched in 1992, Fitness magazine is celebrating twenty years as a leading source for all the latest news on health, nutrition and exercise. Fitness motivates women to movefor fun, for health, for life. With workouts and diet plans that get results, plus inspiring beauty and health tips, Fitness empowers women to be fierce about reaching for and achieving body success, however they define it. Fitness is published 10 times a year by Meredith Corporation [NYSE: MDP], with a rate base of 1.5 million and an audience of 7.3 million readers. For more information, please visit www.fitnessmagazine.com.
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company, creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. And Yahoo!s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.com) or the companys blog, Yodel Anecdotal (yodel.yahoo.com). Follow us @YahooInc
Shine is the leading site for womens lifestyle content with more than 36 million visitors per month.
- ^ Fitness Magazine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ Yahoo! Shine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ Fitness (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ Yahoo! Shine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/why-women-competitive-232700588.html (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ http://twitter.com/#!/YahooShine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ http://www.facebook.com/yahooshine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ http://twitter.com/#!/FitnessMagazine (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/#!/fitnessmag (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ www.fitnessmagazine.com (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ pressroom.yahoo.com (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ yodel.yahoo.com (cts.businesswire.com)
- ^ @YahooInc (cts.businesswire.com)
Easy Fitness Tips Volume 2 (Kindle Edition) tagged “fitness tips” 5 times
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:56:15 GMT Easy Fitness Tips Volume 2 (Kindle Edition)By Lisa Jeffreys Buy new: $0.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: fitness tips(5), exercise tips(4), fitness(4), exercise program(3), female fitness(3), easy recipes(3), exercise and fitness(3), fitness and diet(3), gym working out, health tips http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fitness-Tips-Volume-ebook/dp/B0087QFRES/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&tag=thedays-20&creative=381421
Low Carb Diet For Dummies : Tasty Fat Reducing Recipes (Kindle Edition) tagged “fitness tips” 2 times
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:31:27 GMT Low Carb Diet For Dummies : Tasty Fat Reducing Recipes (Kindle Edition)By Kayode Infomart Buy new: $2.99 Customer Rating: Customer tags: diet book(3), cookbook(2), cook book(2), cooking(2), chinese recipe(2), easy(2), fitness tips(2), chinese(2), chinese food(2), wight loss http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Diet-Dummies-ebook/dp/B008B7SXBC/ref=tag_rso_rs_edpp_url?ie=UTF8&tag=thedays-20&creative=381421
Fitness tips from Kris Kranzky | BosGuy
For the past month I've been posting fitness tips from my trainer Kris Kranzky from the Boston Sports Club in the South End. This week he shares his workout routine. Kris works out for five days and rests for two; his routine http://bosguy.com/2012/06/27/fitness-tips-from-kris-kranzky-6/
Bodybuilding.com – Cardio World: Fast Fitness Tips In 12 Fun Videos!
The Cardio Girl is smart, funny and knows her stuff. Check out these 12 videos and get the scoop on cardio, resistance training and nutrition to make anyone break a sweat! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cardio-world-fast-fitness-tips-in-12-videos.html