SAN DIEGO, May 29, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — You’ve likely heard it before, but it’s worth repeating: If you want to stay in shape, ward off disease and increase your energy levels, you’ve got to exercise. And it doesn’t matter how old you are, says American Specialty Health (ASH), provider of the Silver&Fit Program, a healthy aging and exercise service for Medicare beneficiaries and group retirees.
So, in honor of National Senior Health and Fitness Day (NSHFD) on Wednesday, May 30, the Silver&Fit Program is encouraging older adults to kick off a new exercise routine by joining the estimated 100,000 older adults who will be participating in local NSHFD fitness activities throughout the country. To help you maintain your interest in exercise for a lifetime, the Silver&Fit Program offers these tips:
1. Keep it social. Cultivate friendships with active people. They can help you keep going when you lack enthusiasm. And, you can be there to keep them going, too!
2. Mix it up. Change up your routine to keep it interesting. Hike with friends on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Take a group exercise class on Wednesdays. Work in your garden on Mondays, and save Fridays for walking through the zoo.
3. Get with the beat. Ten minutes on the treadmill can sometimes seem endless. But what if you only had to walk through three songs? Time can fly when you think in terms of music instead of minutes.
4. Go freestyle. Exercise doesn’t have to be an organized activity. Anything that moves your body is active. Just grab your water and go for a walk. Turn up the music and dance in your living room. Or grab the broom and sweep off the front porch with style.
5. Get fit with family and friends. Want more time with loved ones? Why not exercise with them? Form a walking club, play outdoors with your grandchildren, or take a tai chi class with friends.
“The Silver&Fit program provides Medicare beneficiaries with great opportunities to stay physically fit through our no-cost or low cost exercise programs,” said Silver&Fit Associate Vice President Brett Hanson. “In fact, according to a recent survey from ASH, the Silver&Fit population is both healthier and more physically active and fit compared to national benchmark data of similarly aged older adults.*”
In the survey of nearly 2,000 randomly selected Silver&Fit members, respondents report that they are in better health than they were one year ago, and they also report increased activity levels and reduced health care utilization.
The survey also indicates that:
- A higher percentage of Silver&Fit members report very good to excellent health.
- A lower percentage of Silver&Fit members smoke cigarettes.
- The degree of physical activity among Silver&Fit members is much higher at all levels and parameters.
- A lower percentage of Silver&Fit members have significant physical limitations or have difficulties with activities of daily living.
- Based on available data, Silver&Fit members appear to utilize health care providers less frequently.
To obtain a free copy of a white paper detailing the survey’s full results, please contact Rachel Frank by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 800.848.3555 (x3987). For more information about whether your Medicare plan includes the Silver&Fit program, please contact your health plan or call 1-800-MEDICARE.
*Results were compared to national benchmark data points from the 2009 National Health Information Survey (NHIS) conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), the State of Aging and Health in America (SAHA) report, and the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), as well as baseline data from the same 2009 survey. As compared to the national benchmark populations, the Silver&Fit population is slightly older, averaging 72 years.
About Silver&Fit and American Specialty Health
The Silver&Fit program is provided through American Specialty Health Systems, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH). As part of the Silver&Fit program, members have access to: no-cost or low-cost memberships at a comprehensive network of contracted fitness clubs and exercise centers; the Silver&Fit Home Fitness Program for those unable to participate at a fitness facility or who prefer to work out at home; SilverandFit.com, a website with a variety of health tools and resources specifically designed for older adults; The Silver Slate(R), a quarterly newsletter; and a toll-free customer service hotline.
The Silver&Fit logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=13048
ASH is a national health services company that provides total population health management, specialty health care management programs, and fitness and exercise services to health plans, insurance carriers, employer groups and trust funds. Based in San Diego and Dallas, ASH has nearly 900 employees and covers close to 30 million members.
For more information about ASH and its subsidiaries, visit www.ASHCompanies.com or call (800) 848-3555. Follow us @ASHCompanies.
- ^ email@example.com (www.globenewswire.com)
- ^ http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=13048 (www.globenewswire.com)
- ^ www.ASHCompanies.com (www.globenewswire.com)
- ^ @ASHCompanies (www.globenewswire.com)
100 Fitness Tips | Healthy Habit Tips
100 Fitness Tips List Price: List Price: Your Price: Health and Fitness Tips offer insight into the latest research, studies, trends and. http://www.healthyhabitstips.com/weight-loss/100-fitness-tips-2/
Fitness Tips From Professional Dancers
By Tiffany Tse for Shape.com How do professional dancers keep those lean, mean physiques? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/fitness-tips-dancers_n_1498091.html
Replacement silicone earbud replacement tips covers fit over 50 types 30 PAIRS
3.345″ TIP SILENCER WILL FIT 3.50″ ROUND TIP MUFFLER
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2012 HealthNutFitness
Click here for more information about 'The Silver&fit(r) Program Offers Five Tips To Make Fitness More Fun For Senior Health & Fitness Day(r)'.